Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 11:20 AM

Default I think I\'m getting way too LAG

OK, here is my fundamental problem: I think that you need to be able to mix it up and bluff/semi-bluff to beat high stakes poker. So I am trying to incorporate this type of play into my repertoire. However, I know that these plays rely on fold equity to be profitable, and at SSNL there is simply no fold equity. Or at least very little. So I know that my current attempts at LAG play cost me a lot of money in the short-run, but I am hoping that they will end up improving my game and helping me to pick the most profitable spots for later on. I'd be very curious to hear other people's take on this type of thing. In any case, here is a fairly typical hand where I'm not sure about the right move on the turn. On the one hand, I'd like to fire a second barrel and hopefully get him to fold one pair, on the other hand he might have just hit a straight draw or top two and maybe he was slowplaying a set on the flop and he is trying to check/raise me on the turn so I should just check behind on the turn with my newly acquired outs. So what's the proper play here?

Villain is truly horrible which perhaps makes this an easier check on the turn, but I would be quite interested in responses like "If he were aggro, I would bet, if he were passive, I would check" or whatever. So don't restrict your responses to what's correct for this particular villain. Villain happens to be 70/7, though, and I saw him 3-bet all in with 44 on a KQ76r board previously only to be called by AA...and hit a 4 on the river.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

UTG ($114.20)
MP ($242.95)
TWP ($196)
SB ($103.60)
BB ($233.22)

Preflop: TWP is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">TWP raises to $8</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $6.

Flop: ($17) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">TWP bets $16</font>, BB calls $16.

Turn: ($49) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, TWP...?
Old 09-08-2005, 11:22 AM

Default Re: I think I\'m getting way to LAG

take the free river
Old 09-08-2005, 11:25 AM

TWP folds in shame for even having to ask this question.

Take a card off.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
take the free river

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm doing this against most opponents. I have a nice draw now, and considering this particular Villain, he will pay off if I hit.

2-barrel bluffs rarely work at SSNL. You really have to choose your opponents. A weaker player may let go of a mid-pocket or a T, but most players are just too stubborn to let go. Which is why you DO get paid off everytime you have AA, or TPTK, or a set, etc. Opponents just don't notice enough to see when you're firing a 2nd barrel, you usually have a hand.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:36 AM

Default Re: I think I\'m getting way too LAG

Damn you all. Well how about against more sophisticated opponents at higher stakes? Anyone think this is a good spot to fire again, in general (even though obviously not against this opponent) or are you guys just taking the free draw 100% of the time here?
Old 09-08-2005, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

2-barrel bluffs rarely work at SSNL.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is half true.. this is just a bad board for a 2nd barrell, and on this board twp was fortunate enough to pick up outs, so a c/r wouldbe brutal. and a bad opponent style, too.

not to mention opponent is loose, J9 is likely, and it got there.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm doing this against most opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i agree here, opponent has to be very weak tight to pot the flop then get him to fold on this turn, (he woudl have to actually believe you have KQ or AQ or whatever and hit the turn to fold Tx... or had an overpair all along...)
Old 09-08-2005, 11:39 AM

I take the free card. I don't think villain is on a draw with that flop (unless he's getting tricky with 76s). If he checkraises you on the turn with a set, you're going to wish you took the free card.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:40 AM

I really like checking here because a 9 could take down a monster pot.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, here is my fundamental problem: I think that you need to be able to mix it up and bluff/semi-bluff to beat high stakes poker. So I am trying to incorporate this type of play into my repertoire. However, I know that these plays rely on fold equity to be profitable, and at SSNL there is simply no fold equity. Or at least very little.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the exact same problem. Fancy is -EV in small stakes cash games. I encourage anyone who responds to my posts to continue to beat this into my head.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:50 PM

depends 100% on table image and looseness/tightness of opponent. Taking the free card can't be THAT wrong. Button raises won't and shouldn't get much respect so i could see a loose player calling the turn here with A5/A8/any ten easily.