Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 08-24-2005, 03:23 PM

Default Party 50/100 Game

I don't post in this forum since I no longer play limit, although I do read some of the posts from time to time. Also, when I get on or log off party/stars/ub I often just check various games to see the pot averages. Just now on party the 2 50/100 tables had pot averages of $576 and $376 respectively.

My first question is, are any of you 2+2ers playing these tables? My second question is if you answered affirmatively, how can this be a good exercise of game selection by playing in a game with only 3.7 to 5.7 big bets? I am constantly amazed to see how small the averages are in both 100/200 and 50/100 while having waitlists 15+.

I was just curious and thought I would ask.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:31 PM

Default Re: Party 50/100 Game

just because a game has big avg. pot doesn't mean it's a good game to be in.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, party counts uncalled bets in the pot size average, so if lots of hands aren't going to showdown, the pot will be smaller than if the exact same game was played on another site.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:40 PM

The games are usually bad, often very bad. But I don't like money or winning, so it works out good for me.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true. But are you maintaining that a game with an average of 3.7 big bets could possibly be a good game, that any player there has an edge?
Old 08-24-2005, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, party counts uncalled bets in the pot size average, so if lots of hands aren't going to showdown, the pot will be smaller than if the exact same game was played on another site.

[/ QUOTE ]

Surely this would have the opposite effect, that of overstating the pot average.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The games are usually bad, often very bad. But I don't like money or winning, so it works out good for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honest replies are greatly appreciated.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't post in this forum since I no longer play limit, although I do read some of the posts from time to time. Also, when I get on or log off party/stars/ub I often just check various games to see the pot averages. Just now on party the 2 50/100 tables had pot averages of $576 and $376 respectively.

My first question is, are any of you 2+2ers playing these tables? My second question is if you answered affirmatively, how can this be a good exercise of game selection by playing in a game with only 3.7 to 5.7 big bets? I am constantly amazed to see how small the averages are in both 100/200 and 50/100 while having waitlists 15+.

[/ QUOTE ]

how much is 1 player with stats 40/20/1 worth to you?

what about 2?

what if the whole game is 17-24/10-15/1.5-3s? now take out 1 of those and replace with the 40/20/1...what will the avg pot size be w/ 1 fish and 9 good players? what about 8 good players, and on and on.

basically there is almost always at least 1 bad player in the games. if not its a clear leaving the table type of situation.

good thing those are not the only available games on the net.

-Barron
Old 08-24-2005, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

how much is 1 player with stats 40/20/1 worth to you?

what about 2?

what if the whole game is 17-24/10-15/1.5-3s? now take out 1 of those and replace with the 40/20/1...what will the avg pot size be w/ 1 fish and 9 good players? what about 8 good players, and on and on.

basically there is almost always at least 1 bad player in the games. if not its a clear leaving the table type of situation.

good thing those are not the only available games on the net.

-Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

I would never leave if everyone were under 17 vpip. You can widen your range of raising hands and experience less volatility than a looser game. Also, the worse the game is, the more likely it is that someone ELSE will leave. The trick to game selection in games like this is to ride out the waves of tightness by adjusting accordingly, and waiting for the fish. This is why you'll often see very good players playing in what, to someone who only looks at pot size, seem to be very bad games.
James