Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 08:33 PM

Default Re: Starting out in SNGs - advice?

Thats true.... Friggin Raptor, broke ass... HOLLA
Old 08-10-2005, 10:48 PM

Ideally I'd like to play 150-200 a month. I think that's totally possible with my current situation. I figured that with a 20% ROI at the $22s, that averages to around $800 a month, which should hopefully cover variance well enough that even if I have a terrible month, I could still pull in $200+.

What kind of variance does a decent to good SNG player typically experience? I'm coming from a primarily limit background, though I've also got around 75-100 NL MTTs under my belt, though very low limit. Mostly the $1-3 nightlies on Stars, with only one final table, which was also my only win, but a bunch of 20+ places.

Basically I'm not a noob to poker, or really to SNGs in general, but I am to focusing specifically on them [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks a lot for all the advice I've gotten so far. It's too late for me to get rakeback on Party, unless I can somehow completely cancel my account and create a new one..
Old 08-10-2005, 10:53 PM

The best post I saw on confidence levels for SNGs

Lori
Old 08-10-2005, 11:02 PM

First of all good luck to the original poster.

%20 ROI at the 20's is not "easy" by any standards but it is within reach. 10% is close to "easy" but still takes attention to detail.

I digress.. the reason why I posted is that I feel that goals should be stated in $/hr not $/month. For example my goal is $4,000/yr. My goal is to also play no more than 20 hours of poker per week. So $50 per week no more than 20 hrs. I guess I am happy with $2.5/hr. A reasonable goal. Even at that rate I could make decent money if I played ALL THE TIME. I do not want to play all the time. Somewhere after 20 hours in a week my real life starts to suffer.

So your goal is attainable but depending on your ROI it will take more or less time.

I dunno just something more to think about.

Good luck.

--
tjh
Old 08-10-2005, 11:03 PM

If you play 100-200 per month you could see some pretty wide swings in variance. I know I had some 100 SnGs with 55% ROI and some with 5% ROI at the 10's. You could even see a negative ROI swing. I too signed up for party without rakeback. Eventually I wanted to get some. Just find a good affiliate with a rakeback at a Party skin. There are lots of good affiliates who advertise here. If you wanted the least variance to generate $400 per month than bonus whoring might be the way to go.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The best post I saw on confidence levels for SNGs

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

Could someone explain how the charts work above. I have the 500SNG excel spreadsheet that works out a confidence factor but I would like to use those charts also

Trev
Old 08-11-2005, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Remember that Empire will be moving to ipoker.net soon and that ipoker.net sucks.

Also, never take rakeback from someone who won't buy a banner and resorts to cheap tactics. They NEVER pay.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm, so does this mean I won't be able to play SNGs on the same network of players when the move occurs?

ty