Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 07-09-2005, 03:38 AM

Default Re: London

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Terrorism is simply another form of war.

[/ QUOTE ]
Terrorism is a ruthless, barbaric form of warfare that kills innocent people.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is there any other kind?
Old 07-09-2005, 08:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Is there any other kind?

[/ QUOTE ]Shock and Awe. It's only barely a synonym of "terror" and that slight difference makes us holy, and them evil.
Old 07-09-2005, 05:45 PM

Right, overthrowing a dangerous dictator who kills thousands of people a year (and sacrificing our own troops safety and efficiency in order to protect innocent people) is the same thing as flying a plance into a building and intentionally killing thousands of innocents. Give me a break. I usually appreciate rational decent, but you my friend are 100% irrational. Go move to Iran if you love them so much. Or better yet, just do the whole world a favor and put a gun to your head.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Right, overthrowing a dangerous dictator who kills thousands of people a year (and sacrificing our own troops safety and efficiency in order to protect innocent people) is the same thing as flying a plance into a building and intentionally killing thousands of innocents.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're talking about reasoning behind going to war. It has nothing to do with the post I made, talking about what war is. Innocent people die in every war, and any justification you make for it, and even very good ones doesn't change that fact. War is about people dying, people getting killed by other people, and nothing else.

Terrorism is a ruthless barbaric form of warfare that kills innocent people.

Warfare is a ruthless barbaric form of warfare that kills innocent people.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:37 PM

Default You are sick

Warfare is done by uniformed soldiers who volunteer or are otherwise compensated for their efforts. Warfare is done by sovereign nations who protect their ideals by force, and most importantly, the targets are aware that they are targets and are afforded the opportunity and means to defend themselves.

Terrorism is committed against unknowing civilians who are unaware that they are targets. Warfare is done by political groups that are unwilling to fight face to face and wish to take advantage of democracy by terrorizing its citizens into demanding policy change.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:43 PM

I agree that both war and terrorism result in the deaths of innocents and that this makes both abhorrent. But I really do feel as though it's the intentions of the attackers in these conflicts that make one barbaric and the other not. I feel there are just wars and barbaric wars, but that terrorism is always barbaric. One regrettably kills innocents and the other intentionally kills innocents. From your post, however, it seems that while this distinction matters to me, it doesn't matter to you. Does this make our views irreconcilible? What do you think?

On a completely different note, it was mentioned above that terrorism has causes and these causes can be removed. Inasmuch as terrorists claim the policies of certain nations are at the core of their, the terrorist's, actions, this is true. But I suspect an element of terrorist's motivation is thirst for power. The US and other western countries do not only encroach on their culture, but their ability to exert control over their own people. I feel that many terrorist groups are playing on political and religious themes for their personal pursuit of power, not the best interst of those they claim to represent. Thoughts?

I am very interested in these discussions. Thanks for a great thread guys,

Blue
Old 07-09-2005, 10:13 PM

Wars about killing other people. A terrorist may regret the fact that he is killing someone, but does it for his cause. A soldier will do the same thing.

Gamblor, why the hell are you giving the other person a fighting chance? And why does it make War somehow acceptable? War is not a fair thing. If you don't play fair, you'll live without honor. If you play fair, you'll die with honor. I'd rather live without honor. When it comes down to it, in war, you're putting everything on the line. If you're putting your life and other people's lives in trouble, then the stakes are already far too high to give them a chance to shoot back.

Agree with your second paragraph, bluewilde. A lot of people fight for self-interest, hell, most people do, but terrorism doesn't get started without support. Removing support singlehandedly winz.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:34 AM

Default The struggle against terrorism cannot be won by military means

Osama bin Laden is no more a true representative of Islam than General Mladic, who commanded the Bosnian-serb forces, could be held up as an example of Christianity. After all, it is written in the Qur'an that we were made into different peoples not that we might despise each other, but that we might understand each other.

Bin Laden was, though, a product of a monumental miscalculation by western security agencies.

Throughout the 80s he was armed by the CIA and funded by the Saudis to wage jihad against the Russian occupation of Afghanistan. Al-Qaida, literally "the database", was originally the computer file of the thousands of mujahideen who were recruited and trained with help from the CIA to defeat the Russians.

Inexplicably, and with disastrous consequences, it never appears to have occurred to Washington that once Russia was out of the way, Bin Laden's organisation would turn its attention to the west.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And Zarqawi is a "Jordanian Fighter," huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

We call it collatoral damage when we do it to them.

Mack