Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: .
Jamie 87 76.99%
Laura 5 4.42%
Lisa 21 18.58%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-05-2005, 08:49 AM

Default ITM 3 handed, shove it in the big stack\'s face?

Party Poker $33 No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t500 (3 handed) converter

BB (t5850)
Button (t310)
SB (t1840)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="black">Hero?</font>

On the flip side, what is your calling range if you are the BB?
Old 07-05-2005, 09:46 AM

Default Re: ITM 3 handed, shove it in the big stack\'s face?

First and foremost, what is he calling with?
Old 07-05-2005, 10:50 AM

if you are that mid-stack and you're pushing, knowing u are risking my calling and u getting 3rd instead of letting the 550 get eaten up, then as big man, i'm putting you on a pretty decent hand, so my gut is to only call with premium hands

but ICM may say differently

i do know as big man, i'd prolly have pushed before you with most anything due to folding equity, but to call an all-in from you, i'd think premium hands are needed
Old 07-05-2005, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First and foremost, what is he calling with?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course that depends on the level of thinking you put him on. He has shown the ability to make some pretty loose calls w/a big stack, and has also set short stacks in preflop from the button and SB with the likes of 76s and Q5o.

ICM suggests that if his calling range is any two, then a push is practically no change in $EV (-0.1%, -$0.23). Of course it gets progressively better for me after that when you start adding hands he folds.

If he puts my range at any two (which admittedly may be a stretch), then he is right to call with all but the weakest of hands (any top 76% will do).

If in fact he is calling with the top 76%, then my pushing with AJo is +0.5 $EV ($1.61 at this level).

I would definately put him on the loose side of the scale. Perhaps not all the way down to the top 76%, but I would guess that since the shorty will be all in in the BB next hand, he's calling with at least the top 50%. I'm +1.2 $EV/+$3.56 against that range.

Interesting that my situation isn't so hot if he is either very smart and knows the numbers, or doesn't know the numbers and only thinks "what the hell, i'll take a flier 'cause shorty is busting next hand anyway".

*edit: all ICM numbers adjusted to give shorty t500 to allow the program to run. Chips removed from the BS.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:01 PM

Looks like you only need to wait 1 more hand before youre batling heads up for 1st. Pushing seems reasonable because im thinking the BB will call with any two and you have a decent holding.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks like you only need to wait 1 more hand before youre batling heads up for 1st. Pushing seems reasonable because im thinking the BB will call with any two and you have a decent holding.

[/ QUOTE ]

My worst case scenario is for the BB to be calling with any two. I would much rather have him call only when he has a hand.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pushing seems reasonable because im thinking the BB will call with any two and you have a decent holding.

[/ QUOTE ]

We don't want to be called here.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:45 PM

I'd push but I'd close my eyes.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:55 PM

I voted to push, I can see the point of not doing so but in my mind this represents too good an opportunity, if BB calls I think its likely he just made a mistake that greatly improves your chance of first. If he does call with any 2 you're favourite, if he sucks you out thats just bad luck and part of the game, you'll win more of these than you lose though.

That said if I'm the BB I dont need to enter a fight you obviously like the look of unless I'm on a monster. You're not getting called here if you make a big bet if I'm BB.