Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 06-02-2005, 01:44 PM

Default Re: Call with this strong draw?

I saw an interesting point made by Matt Flynn over in the MHNL forum the other day on a similar strong draw hand. I think it's especially pertinent since this is a home game with guys you presumably play with quite a bit, so meta-game takes on some importance. Matt's point was that you can't only play your monsters strong, or you're way too easy to read. The easiest non-monster to play very strong correctly is a really strong draw (flush + str8, open or gut, flush + overs likely to win, etc). Obviously there's some wiggle room in that advice, but I think this is a situation where you need to basically play this like you had kings or jacks on the flop, ie raise ~3/4 pot, so call the 100 and put in say 400 more (pot is 530 with your call of the 100), for 500 total. In an online tourney say party 22s or 33s where you might feel you've got a big edge over the field and most of these players will never see you again, I think then you can strongly consider just calling the 100, assuming whatever donk is in the hand with you will still pay up if you hit a diamond, or especially a ten.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:02 AM

Thank you for your opinions, everyone. It is now quite clear to me that the flop raise was a mistake, and the correct move on the flop is a close call between a (much) bigger raise and a call.

As for my actual question, I understand the consensus is that the way it was played, I could not correctly fold this hand. If you have patience for one last question, should you fold in the case you were much superior in skill to the other players? How much better would you need to be to make this fold?
Old 06-03-2005, 10:28 AM

If we assume that as a better player it means you have pretty solid reads on your opponents and will be able to rebuild your stack easily by picking your spots, ie you won't need cards to do it, then sure you can fold this sometimes. Its also possible that just hitting an ace will be no good if he has two pair or a set (even the worst players hit big hands and they usually play them bad too). So maybe you only have 12 outs. Putting your life on the line on a draw in a tournament is ok sometimes, but you can't make a habit of getting into these situations and a fold is not out of the question in this situation. If the blinds raise slowly then you have little to worry about if you truly are a better player and can use post-flop play to your advantage to rebuild your stack after a fold.