Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2005, 06:49 AM

Default AK...need help

Villain (MP1) looked to be loose aggressive from my 30 minutes or so watching him on the table.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (9 handed) converter

Hero ($19.75)
Button ($29.05)
SB ($34.05)
BB ($32.70)
UTG ($70.55)
UTG+1 ($42.50)
MP1 ($25.10)
MP2 ($25)
MP3 ($22)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls $0.25, MP2 calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.5</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls $1.25, MP1 calls $1.25, MP2 calls $1.25.

Flop: ($6.10) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB folds, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3.5</font>, MP1 calls $3.50, MP2 folds.

Turn: ($13.10) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $8</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to $16</font>, Hero calls $6.75 (All-In).

River: ($43.85) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $43.85

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
MP1 has Js Kh (two pair, kings and jacks).
Hero has Ah Ks (two pair, kings and fours).
Outcome: MP1 wins $43.85. </font>

What should I have done differently? Looking back at this I think my flop bet should have been bigger. But I don't think LAG MP1 folds here even if it was pot sized.

I know I am just anticipating possible comments here, such as fold the turn. But this is my problem with poker. I can't understand why someone would call a 6xBB PF raise OOP with KJo. And I always seem to want to call to see the 3 outer suck out.

What do you do against players like this and any comments and criticism on my play would be great. thanks.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:38 AM

Default Re: AK...need help

i would have bet a little more on the flop, but like you said, it probably wouldn't have saved you in this case. tough luck, on to the next hand.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:47 AM

I don't think it would matter but bet 2/3s on the flop.

There's nothing you can do about this, bad calls happen. Don't get upset about them, be happy, make a note on this guy and rebuy. This guy pays us all off in the long run..first he calls your pf raise with a trap hand OOP (which is probably okay) then he hits his top pair but doesn't push back to find out where his kicker puts him. He hit a three outer, nothing you can do about it and since you're so short stacked, you have to call his reraise on the turn.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What should I have done differently? Looking back at this I think my flop bet should have been bigger.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, at least 3/4 the pot.

[ QUOTE ]
But I don't think LAG MP1 folds here even if it was pot sized.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed, but you're most likely ahead. Build a bigger pot.

[ QUOTE ]
I know I am just anticipating possible comments here, such as fold the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're pot-committed. You only had to call $6.75 to win $37.10 (5.5:1). You're behind (14:1 dog), but he's loose. He could be making this play with KQ, maybe KT. I think you were correct in calling.

[ QUOTE ]
But this is my problem with poker. I can't understand why someone would call a 6xBB PF raise OOP with KJo. And I always seem to want to call to see the 3 outer suck out.

[/ QUOTE ]
He was drawing to 2 outs and he got lucky. The villain made the mistakes in this hand (not you). He got lucky this time, but you'll get your money back from him soon enough.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:46 PM

reading thru some of the other posts, a few people mentioned to bet more on the flop.. not sure what thats gonna accomplish.. i like your bet of 1/2 pot on the flop.

on the turn i'd check behind b/c you are either way ahead, or way behind as the board is really drawless. checking behind on the turn may also induce a river bet from mid PP's that think they might still be good. value bet the river if checked to.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:09 PM

You played it fine. The only thing I have issue with is your reasoning for your bet size on the flop. He's drawing to 3 outs, so your bet of slightly over 1/2 the pot is more than enough. Betting more would be fine, but not because you want him to fold. Bet more because you want him to CALL with even worse odds to draw to his jack. A line that I actually like quite a bit (probably unnecessarily tricky for these players), is to check/raise big on the flop. On a K44 board you know with your AK your opponents are drawing to only 2 or 3 outs (unless they have you killed with a 4, or maybe KK), so giving a free card is okay. He'll probably bet with KJ once you check to him so you can trap him from there. You played it perfectly fine, I just like to use this line on occasion to throw people off. You have to call the turn all-in given your pot odds. Tough luck.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:27 PM

Thanks for the all the comments. Some people are saying I am pot committed here by the turn as a shortstack. Is there a point at which you lay this down on the turn? Say I started with a full buyin or more and my pot odds are only 4:1? 3:1? Doesn't the checkraise almost certainly mean KJ or JJ. If KJ, I am on a 4 outer with a 10% chance. If JJ I am on a 2 outer with a 5% chance.

Matt R., because I was last to act here a checkraise wasn't possible here. Even if I was OOP and could checkraise don't you think this is getting a bit too tricky for generally weak players at this level (.25 BB) especially with me being the PF raiser?