Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2003, 03:50 PM

Default To Maximize or not to maximize

I'm posting this hand not for analysis (I think I played it well) but to start/resolve a discussion on maximizing profits:

Party 3/6, VERY passive table, 10 players. I am dealt A-9 hearts UTG and call $3. Four limpers, plus a posted BB before CO raises to $6. SB, BB fold, everyone else calls, 8 to the flop of A-7-9, two diamonds.

Having flopped a vulnerable two pair, I bet out. Should I play for a check-raise here with the pre-flop raiser?

One player folds, everyone else calls. $70 in the pot. Turn is a Jack of spades. I bet out again, for two reasons, I think my 2pr is good, I want to see if that J hit anyone. EVERYONE calls (told you it was passive). Again, should I have check-raised?

River is a non-consequential deuce of hearts. I bet out, get only two callers, one with A-10 and the other with A-K, I take down the pot of $130.

Did I leave any big bets on the table? I think not, since I probably lose a few callers if they are forced to call two cold, but at least one CR might have made me a bet or two more. I just refused to take the chance of giving a free card with the diamond draw on the board, though they certainly had odds to draw, regardless of my bets.
Old 10-29-2003, 03:59 PM

Default Re: To Maximize or not to maximize

Unless you are almost positive that the pf raiser will bet trying for a check raise is a mistake. I love check raises at aggressive tables, but virtually never try for them at a passive table. You said the table was very passive and pointed out that TP is very vulnerable against so many opponents. Betting is correct.
Old 10-29-2003, 04:22 PM

Default Re: To Maximize or not to maximize

I agree with both of you.

Guido