Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2004, 10:47 AM

Default 60k in 60 Days: Season 2 - Day 42 and 43

I’ve got a question to ask. How many of your posts hit the proverbial cutting room floor instead of making it past the “continue”button? I swear, half the posts I’ve written don’t get posted because I don’t like how it’s worded, or I don’t think it’s going to contribute much in terms of knowledge, or I’m not quite sure what my position is, or whatever. I don’t know what that says about me…probably that I subconscious confidence issues or something. Meh.

The Packers lost…again. A few 2+2ers who will go unmentioned felt it appropriate to attempt to give me a hard time about the Packers once the game was well in hand. My real-life non-packer fan friends will tell you…after a Packer’s loss, you don’t want to talk to me. “Irrational” doesn’t cover it. It’s not a cute little thing I do either…I am honestly very angry after a Packers loss. It’s even worse now, as this is the first time since I was like 11 that my team seriously sucks. I can go on a player-specific rant about any player on our defense. After reviewing the TiVo, I realized I twice bitched out each of 14 defensive players that get significant playing time. Also, once the season becomes a lost cause, we should take a sledge hammer to Ahman Green’s left arm so he is forced to carry with his right arm for the rest of the season. Gah…I’m getting worked up over this.

Since I’m getting to the point where talking strategy in my journals is going to accelerate my burnout, I’m going to stick to my disjointed writing style on fluff pieces. One of the things I do between sessions is fire up the playstation and play a game of Madden or MLB or Tiger Woods. I took the Brewers to the World Series this past weekend (4 months of hard work on the PS2), and I ended up losing to the Red Sox. I’m thinking, “meh…whatever.” My roommate, upon watching me lose the series and and just going to the next season, looked at me like I was crazy for not resetting the PS2 before making the final loss official. I always thought there was some sort of unwritten video game etiquette that you just play the season out and whatever happens, happens. I also have an unwritten rule that I’m not allowed to take advantage of flaw in the game. For instance, I could steal with Scott Podsednik with a 98-99% success rate because it’s too easy to detect a pickoff move, but I limit him to 1 SB per game because otherwise it gets ridiculous. In some older baseball games, it was pretty easy to force someone out from right field on a hard liner…I didn’t partake in that either. Am I out of my gourd here? Is there a standard video game etiquette that should be dictating what I do and don’t do to achieve victory?

Plans for the Borgata trip changed slightly. We bumped back the arrival date to Wednesday, November 10, and we will be out there through Sunday. Thursday, Nov. 11, will be my birthday…I plan on being veryveryvery drunk. Please get a hold of me or fsuplayer if you want to meet up. I plan on splitting my time between being drunk at the 3/6, learning live NL poker and maybe playing 40/80 or 20/40 if I get ambitious and feel like making a little dough. After AC, I plan on coming up through New York

It was nice to get back into the swing of things on Monday, Day 42. Not everything went my way, but enough things went my way to make me feel like I wasn’t wasting my time trying to put together a long day of poker. I extended my sessions to “movie length.” So I played probably ~1.75 hours per session with a movie on in the background. I played four sessions, with results of $1079, $5, $94.50, and $772.50 for a total of $1951. Of course, per the usual, the day was still rather sucky because of the Packers.

Day 43, Tuesday, was a little less ambitious. It’s hard when you can’t get your wheels spinning early. Furthermore, I played two heads-up matches (well, three if you count my HULA match), and I always take a break after a HU match so I don’t come back to the 6max tables too insanely aggressive. I had profits of ~$300 and $100 in my two HU matches. So I played a bunch of short sessions, putting up sessions of $58, $866, $104.50, -$534.50, and $506 to put up a win of $1001 (I swear, I didn’t stop on a dime when I hit the $1000…purely a coincidence).

As I alluded earlier, I played my HULA match as well on Day 43. I played Schneids HU for like the 4th time in the past six months, and the route was on…again. During my downswing, some of my esteemed associates speculated that perhaps I was trying to hard to win every hand. That strategy doesn’t work when you’re running bad, but when you are winning 89% of your showdowns in HU match…well, it works like a charm. The match lasted 55 hands, with me gaining the lead on the first hand and never looking back. I went into the match postulating that Mr. Schneider would be coming in telling himself that he needed to start making more quality laydowns later in the hand, so I decided I would try to induce a few more bluffs on the river. The results of this strategy: I missed 2 relatively easy value bets on the river. Other than that, I think I played OK…I just got the right hands at the right time. I didn’t get that many monster hands…I just had a little bit more hand than he did. On the last hand, Schneids made the fish move of risking his last $190 or so chips with his AA against my KJ on a 56KKK board. The Noted Heads Up Poker Authorites roll again this week, with captain gonores maintaining psychological superiority over captain Schneids.

Flag football tonight, Thirsty Thursday tomorrow, Badger Hockey on Friday, Badger football on Saturday, Packers on Sunday. Good God, I’m never going to get these hands in.

Total through Day 43: $39783.59 ($3216.41 behind pace, extrapolated: $55511.99)

(Hands in the HUSH Forum)
Old 10-13-2004, 11:12 AM

Default Re: 60k in 60 Days: Season 2 - Day 42 and 43

Probably half of my posts end up being cut.

Regarding the PS2...My son is the ultimate "if I don't win/complete level/etc. then reset the console" person. I play the NASCAR and F1 games and if I have a good season going but start to blow one race I've been known to "accidently" reset the game before the finish. Oh well [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Go Vikes!
Old 10-13-2004, 11:17 AM

On the Packers game: why are you reserving your scorn for the defense? I'm not a fan of players retiring in their prime, but c'mon, maybe it's time for Mr. Favre to move on. Not just him either, they had what, 7 turnovers? Pretty hard to blame the defense for that...
Old 10-13-2004, 11:29 AM

I am wondering about your line in one hand in particular in our HU match. I know your hole cards (being that surprise, you won the hand at showdown), you don't know mine. Care to guess which hand?
Old 10-13-2004, 11:39 AM

I can guarantee you it's not going to come to me, no matter how long I think about it.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:42 AM

Please take this post in the manner in which it is intended and that is one of learning for me.

Why are you so wrapped up in pro sports? What about it causes these wild rides of emotion? Is it possible to get so attached (or whatever the mechanism is) that it actually affects the quality of YOUR LIFE?

You're not playing for the team. You don't own the team. What will you TRULY get out of it if they win?

Again, I'm not trying to be a wise guy but I seriously don't get the obsession with pro sports. What end possibly justifies all the time, energy and emotional committment spent on the process?
Old 10-13-2004, 11:50 AM

Hi Gonores,

[ QUOTE ]
Tuesday, was a little less ambitious. It’s hard when you can’t get your wheels spinning early.

[/ QUOTE ]

WEAK EFFORT.

And you call this a quest. You weakling.

-Diplomat
Old 10-13-2004, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Again, I'm not trying to be a wise guy but I seriously don't get the obsession with pro sports. What end possibly justifies all the time, energy and emotional committment spent on the process?

[/ QUOTE ]

Different strokes for different folks.

I dont get why people like Anime.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:50 PM

Default the solution to the \"what\'s wrong with small stakes\" problem

[ QUOTE ]
I swear, half the posts I’ve written don’t get posted because I don’t like how it’s worded, or I don’t think it’s going to contribute much in terms of knowledge, or I’m not quite sure what my position is, or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish everyone had a bit more of this attitude.

/mc
Old 10-13-2004, 01:57 PM

I raise on button with A4, you 3-bet in BB with Q9. Flop 943. You bet I raise you call. Turn some card I don't remember, maybe a ten or jack or 6. You bet again, I call. River either a jack or 6 (but not paired with the turn) and it goes check check.

What were you putting me on? Your stop and go made me decide I was folding on the river without improvement, what inspired that versus 3-betting on the flop or check raising me on the turn?

If I recall correctly you had already been jostling plenty on the flop in past hands so as I saw it you really had no reason to change gears yet. But what do I know? Another hand around this time you sniffed out my TPTK turn check raise attempt and smartly checked behind my turn check after the flop action went bet raise call. I did that because I thought I had a really tight passive image going (most previous flops that made it to a turn seemed to have you being the aggressor) and that you would bet any turn as I felt a vibe like you were getting ready to go into a run-me-over mode. Man I wish TPC had HH logs as it would be cool to go over a meta-game thought process of each hand.