Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 05:32 PM

Default Everyones falling out of their chairs to go all in! I have 2nd nuts.

I found myself with the second best hand possible and a lot of action ahead of me.

Reads:
CO - He is a fairly solid player. He doesn't bet unless he has a strong hand. He calls far too often after the flop. loose-solid postflop. He can make a rare large bluff. Very loose and wild preflop.

UTG, MP - They are fairly new players to the table. I haven't noticed tons of aggression from them yet. I would make the assumption that their bets generally mean what they are suppose to mean until they prove me otherwise.

Table image hero-
I have been playing fairly tight aggressive preflop and postflop. But I have been playing against the CO since he plays so many hands. And I did not try to bluff him since he calls too often and I did bet marginal hands for value. So that could have altered my table image. People may think that I don't bluff and I bet marginal hands for value unless they took into account how my opponent played (CO).

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) internettexasholdem.com

CO ($23.50)
Button ($57.05)
Hero ($49.50)
BB ($34.92)
UTG ($50.50)
MP ($36.35)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG calls $0.50, MP calls $0.50, CO calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($2.50) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP checks, CO checks.

Turn: ($2.50) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $8</font>, CO calls $8, Hero calls $6, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $16</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $27.85 (all in)</font>, CO calls $15 (all in), Hero ...

I folded here.

The board is pretty barren I thought. Possible hands people could have are flush draws (two on the board). Sets. Straights. Another A5 is possible and 56 could be out there for the higher straight. I didn't think two pair was likely except from the CO who plays virtually all hands.

I believe I owe $19.85 into a pot of $75.35 when it is my decision here.

But after a re-re-reraise I thought that the UTG would put me all in. If that is the case I would put in $41.5 to a $97 pot essentially from this point on. But then I would only need to beat UTG for a lot of the pot.

There is only one hand that can beat me on the turn 56. There is one hand that can split with me a5. And there are many hands that can outdraw me - a set and a flush draw. I figured its not worth the risk to split the pot and it is quite possible I am already beaten. It is likely that I could be outdrawn.

The only one I wasn't really worried about is the CO. Since he is loose about calling and he was kind of short stacked so he was getting good pot odds.

The other two: UTG, MP, were raising and reraising every chance they got.

What a hand. The second possible best hand and tremendous action on not a whole lot on the board.

Of course now here is the question: what would you do and why?

I'll show the results and the rest of the hand later.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:42 PM

Default Re: Everyones falling out of their chairs to go all in! I have 2nd nuts.

I can't get my chips in fast enough, especially if there is more than one caller. I would 4-bet the turn all-in. Calling the raise to fold to an all-in is bad beyond words.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:46 PM

Default Re: Everyones falling out of their chairs to go all in! I have 2nd nuts.

i push without even blinking. if someone draws a flush, tough luck... thats poker. you have a made hand on the turn, and although 56 beats you... i doubt any of them hold 56.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:56 PM

Someone smart with 56 should have bet that flop. I also say push, you have a made hand and at this point you're getting 3 to 1 for a call, since your likely to be best, push and hope to see red on the river.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:06 PM

I think I may agree with you about all in on the second time to me.. Since the majority of the cards that could show up on the river are going to be scare cards.

Hands:
a5 (straight to split): 9 ways
22,33,44,88 (set): 24 ways
99,TT,JJ,QQ,KK,AA (overpair): 36 ways
(i don't think the overpairs are as likely due to the preflop action)
56 (straight to be beaten by): 16 ways

flush draw: I don't think it is that likely due to all the min raises that utg and mp have a flush draw. But co certainly could. But I didn't know that at that point. utg could have a flush draw if he was aggressive at that point.

So at that point I should be expecting a set probably. My thinking was it was a lot to risk being outdrawn if I am only going to split if I am not outdrawn and I am not already beaten. But I guess splitting wasn't as likely as I first thought. Since looking at the possible hands there is only 9 ways to make a5 and their are 6 ways to make each set. The 56 is somewhat of a threat. Probably utg doesn't have it since I wouldn't have limped with that utg. I wouldn't have called in MP either. Maybe I underestimated the chance of sets and overpairs here.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:26 PM

Default Results as promised

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) internettexasholdem.com

CO ($23.50)
Button ($57.05)
Hero ($49.50)
BB ($34.92)
UTG ($50.50)
MP ($36.35)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG calls $0.50, MP calls $0.50, CO calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($2.50) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP checks, CO checks.

Turn: ($2.50) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $8</font>, CO calls $8, Hero calls $6, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $16</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $27.85 (all in)</font>, CO calls $15 (all in), Hero folds, UTG calls $23.85.

River: ($62.35) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Final Pot: $62.35

UTG has 3d 3c (full house, threes full of twos).
MP has 5s 6s (straight, six high).
CO has 4d 2s (full house, twos full of fours).
Outcome: UTG wins $62.35.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:41 PM

Default Re: Results as promised

Wow, 5s6s didn't bet that flop. Nice lay down? I guess? Unraised hands can be tons of fun.

I suppose putting all your chips in w/ 2nd nuts in an unraised pot with no redraws isn't always a great play (this is Diablo's controversial logic).