Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2005, 10:54 AM

Default Pocket 8s

I'm new to playing with real money. I've been playing with play money for about a year and finally have some extra cash so I started a real money account. I've played about 600 hands so far and am ahead, but I know that's too few hands to make any real conclusions. I picked up GSHE and have read through the section on limit poker.

One situation where I'm never quite sure what to do is with pocket 8s. These two hands happened 1 hand apart. What's the best way to play these types of situations? Being new I'm not that good at reading other players yet, but the table was playing looser than most table's I've played.

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (9 handed)
http://216.119.70.224/converter/hhconverter.pl

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666"> 3 folds </font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls, CO calls, <font color="red">Button raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls, CO calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="red">BB bets</font>, <font color="red">MP2 raises</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: (11 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="red">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, Button folds, BB calls.

River: (15 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="red">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls $0.08 (All-In), BB folds.

Final Pot: 17.80 BB

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (6 handed)
http://216.119.70.224/converter/hhconverter.pl

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="red">MP bets</font>, CO folds, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG folds.

Turn: (4 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets</font>, MP calls, SB folds.

River: (6 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="red">Hero bets</font>, MP calls.

Final Pot: 8 BB
Old 07-14-2005, 11:13 AM

Default Re: Pocket 8s

Fold both flops.

On hand 1, you are probably behind when it is bet and raised in front of you with a preflop raiser yet to act. Even if you are ahead, you will probably not be ahead by the river. This is almost literally a textbook example of "reverse implied odds." (I seriously think the example hand in either TOP or SSHE involves an overpair of eights getting a bunch of action).

Similar story with hand 2. MP probably has a K. Even if he doesn't your hand will still usually not hold up. The pot is small, so it's not worth calling down. Just let it go.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:13 AM

Hand #1 you need to be more aggressive, PF and on the flop.
Hand #2 you played like a fish quite frankly - check/calling flop with an underpair w/ no draws and donkbetting a paired board - all you did was scare a K into calling you down. Either bet the flop yourself, or in this case find a fold with so many players in the hand. If you somehow have the best hand you're going to get outdrawn and you're rarely going to outdraw anybody with your hand.

Good luck &amp; happy reading
Old 07-14-2005, 11:45 AM

I would personally 3-bet the flop in hand #1 and then see how the rest of the hand plays out. You've gotta believe at least one or both of them is trying to pump their flush draw and another may think their top pair is good. I have to believe you're ahead most of the time in this spot, but I've been wrong once or twice before.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:46 AM

In the first hand, I 3-bet the flop and lead the turn. The BB could easily be betting any pair there, and MP1 could be raising with overcards or a flush draw. Since the flush got there on the river, you should check-call the river.

You need to fold the flop on the second hand, you're almost certainly behind. On the turn, even if MP was betting a 7, you're now beat. On the river, even if MP was betting a flush draw, you're beat.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:48 AM

welcome to the world of real money. since you're just learning (basically), this is the best place to start. don't be discouraged about people's sometimes "rough" answers to your questions- it isn't personal and they're genuinely trying to push you to be better.

when your done GSHE, make sure you get SSH. eat with it, sleep with it, dream of it [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

the advice on your posted hands is already good, so i'm not commenting on that. i just wanted to encourage you as you begin your new profitable life of a developing 2+2er. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-14-2005, 11:56 AM

1st hand I would have raised pf, then the hand may play different. If not, and I am bet and raised into, I would fold the flop.

2nd hand I would have led the flop. MP could be betting diamonds, or even middle or low pair. The way you played it, I don't like the turn donk bet. But with him calling it, I think he probably has a K. I would check/fold the river.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In the first hand, I 3-bet the flop and lead the turn. The BB could easily be betting any pair there, and MP1 could be raising with overcards or a flush draw. Since the flush got there on the river, you should check-call the river.

You need to fold the flop on the second hand, you're almost certainly behind. On the turn, even if MP was betting a 7, you're now beat. On the river, even if MP was betting a flush draw, you're beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with your play here. Also, as you get more comfortable with your limit play, you can consider raising hand 1 preflop.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:59 AM

nt
Old 07-14-2005, 12:09 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone. I can definitly see where I made mistakes and will try not to make the same mistakes again. I figured my play on the second had was pretty poor. In case anyone's intersted I'll post in white what the results were.

<font color="white"> First hand MP2 had 54 offsuit. That's bad play preflop by him and he got lucky, right?
Second hand MP had KJ spades.</font>