Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 10:38 AM

Default Male vs. Female

Sup people, I was just wondering if anyone else feels that a stricly women's poker tournament at the World Series every year is ridiculous. Women have always demanded the respect to be treated equally in wanting to participate in the same events as men, so why do they need their own tournament at the World Series. Is it too hard for them to finish well in tournament's with men? This brings me to the question of whether or not anyone thinks that men have a better knack for the game to begin with. I've played many times with women and find myself wondering if there is any advantage to being a male over a female at the table. If there isn't then why do they have their own event at the world series? I'm not sexist or anything by any means, just curious of other people's thoughts?
Old 06-16-2005, 10:46 AM

Default Re: Male vs. Female

Its a way to induce more femles to play poker.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:52 AM

It's about introducing women to a pastime which has been traditionaly male dominated. I see no problem with the female only event and I hope it continues.

-SmileyEH
Old 06-16-2005, 11:24 AM

I wonder what would happen if there were a MALE ONLY tourney [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
*whinge whinge whinge*

Double standards, I find it very annoying. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 06-16-2005, 11:31 AM

probably the best player I personally know is a girl. Of course, she has an engineering degree, and is now in law school, and is also one of the smartest people I know. It is funny how she turns on the "dumb girl" routine at the table, and how she uses her impressive rack to distract the poor boys she thrashes.

It's amazing how if a girl acts dumb, shows some cleavage, guys will happily give her there chips time and time again, and still think she's "just lucky".
Old 06-16-2005, 11:55 AM

men aren't better methinks (if anything, women are better, beacuse they are more intelligent on average aren't they?), no, it's the women to men ratio, but as soon as it evens out a bit, and there are as many women as men, (although that will likely never happen) they will probabaly take out the womens event. although, just because they are a minority, doesn't mean they should have theri own event. i.e, we don't have a muslim only event etc.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:06 PM

I think if a female is intelligent, semi-good looking and well honed in her skills of poker and acting, then she has an advantage over any male. I say this because I have seen so many men go heads up against a female and try and bully them around unsuccessfully. There is without a doubt some kind of complex there. Why? I have no idea, but I've seen it happen waaaaay too many times.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sup people, I was just wondering if anyone else feels that a stricly women's poker tournament at the World Series every year is ridiculous. Women have always demanded the respect to be treated equally in wanting to participate in the same events as men, so why do they need their own tournament at the World Series. Is it too hard for them to finish well in tournament's with men? This brings me to the question of whether or not anyone thinks that men have a better knack for the game to begin with. I've played many times with women and find myself wondering if there is any advantage to being a male over a female at the table. If there isn't then why do they have their own event at the world series? I'm not sexist or anything by any means, just curious of other people's thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

A better question is why do you care and why does it offend you? There's a market for it and Harrah's makes money off it, so they spread it. You are making the issue more complicated than it really is.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
men aren't better methinks (if anything, women are better, beacuse they are more intelligent on average aren't they?), no, it's the women to men ratio, but as soon as it evens out a bit, and there are as many women as men, (although that will likely never happen) they will probabaly take out the womens event. although, just because they are a minority, doesn't mean they should have theri own event. i.e, we don't have a muslim only event etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

You choose to be a muslim. You can't pick your gender.

I believe that men are better at math than girls. Or abstract thinking. I'm not sure though nor do I have facts to back that up. Just something I vaguely recall.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I believe that men are better at math than girls. Or abstract thinking. I'm not sure though nor do I have facts to back that up. Just something I vaguely recall.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd like to contrast poker with backgammon. In backgammon, if you are a jerk to a fish, you take a long break while the fish leaves to find someone less obnoxious. In poker, you can be a jerk, and whether you recognize that it pushes the most valuable opponents away or not, you get to keep playing if one fish leaves. This lack of feedback may be the reason disproportionately many poker players are anti-social, irritating people.

The above statement about the relative mathematical abilities of men and "girls" is highly offensive, as are many things women poker players face at the table. In some countries, about 5% of the mathematicians are women. In others, about 50% of the mathematicians are women. As a mathematician, it's pretty clear to me that there is a strong social component to the choice of fields, and some cultures discourage competent women from entering or staying in fields where they can be successful.

Because women are discouraged from playing poker, and this is bad for the game, I see nothing wrong with artificial encouragements for women to participate, such as ladies' events. Besides, some poker chicks are hot.