Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2005, 03:39 PM

Default Hand from $5000 Guaranteed - Empire

Forgive the fact that I don't have the hand history, but this hand has been bugging me all day. Late stages from last night's $5000 NL tourney on Empire. I have roughly T2900 in the CO. Folded to me with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Blinds are 100/200, and I raise to T500, which has been my standard raise. BB with roughly T5500 weirdly makes it T800 to go. BB has been very aggressive but not reckless. Read is that BB is a good thinking player. I call. (Anyone push here?)
Flop: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
BB leads for T1000, which is basically half of what I have left.
I folded, but I though afterward that it might have been a mistake. BB had me totally confused. I hadn't seen a weird re-raise like this from him before, so I wasn't sure what to make of it. Anybody put enough weight on the overcards, backdoor straight, and backdoor flush possiblities to come over the top here?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 06-03-2005, 03:50 PM

Default Re: Hand from $5000 Guaranteed - Empire

His minraise preflop and less-than-pot sized bet on the flop scream that he is just trying to extract chips (especially given the fact that you seem to have reason to respect his play). I would put him on a high pocket pair here most of the time. I think you played it pretty much right.

I wouldn't come over the top because even if he doesn't have a monster, you have VERY little fold equity given the amount of chips in the pot and what he will be forced to call. So you'll essentially be calling an allin with a backdoor straight/flush draw and a couple overcards (which may or may not be good). It's pretty weak. I think you were right to lay it down.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:53 PM

If you claim he's been being pretty agressive I believe that by him only reraising the minimum and not making a much larger, agressive bet it almost guarantees hes holding qq, kk , or aa. I would have folded to the tiny reraise due to the size of your stack and it being certain that he'll bet the after flop.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have folded to the tiny reraise due to the size of your stack and it being certain that he'll bet the after flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you can fold pre-flop to such a small re-raise. You know he is going to bet any flop so if you flop a monster your getting so many chips. Of course on this flop with that milking bet I throw my hand away.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:23 PM

If you're going to call his minraise you might as well push. you have no room to play poker on the flop. sure if you hit a big hand you MIGHT get paid off, but you cant call 800 chips (1/3 of stack) with A10s hoping to hit the flop hard, you'll be broke real fast.

fold or push to the reraise.