Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2005, 05:02 PM

Default Re: When something doesn\'t \"feel\" quite right

You can sometimes raise this PF.
Flop raise looks fine.
Once UTG folds, I think you're more like ahead/way behind. If you beat him, he could still have 6 outs to beat you. If he does have a king (unlikely given your description), you have 2 outs. EDIT: i guess if we assume he's not a total maniac then we can eliminate two high cards from his holdings. In that case it's WA/WB like you said.

Still, I don't think this changes our play. We still want him to keep bluffing or overplaying his 3, so raising the turn to stop a bluff is the wrong idea.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:09 PM

Would capping the flop be a correct play?
Old 07-14-2005, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If this guy isn't a complete maniac, I raise the turn and check the river unimproved. I like this move, because I have a little more fold equity with the turn raise and it costs the same to see a showdown. If I think this guy is capable of bluff 3-betting me on the turn, I'd just call down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about bluff 3-betting, but he might aggressively value bet his 3. Based on the action here and on previous hands, I don't think he would fold. It's a definitely a good line against more sane players.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the villain in this hand were a sane player, I'm not sure we have much fold equity. For example, if we raise the turn against the sane player, he'll fold a 3, 3-bet a king, and call down with a pocket pair higher than yours. Then again, a sane player probably wouldn't bet/raise the flop and lead the turn with just a 3, so the question would be whether we should fold the turn, not whether to raise it.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:15 AM

There are way too many players who would play this way with Ace-high. Against a LAG who's noted to bet, bet, bet with Ace, King, and even Queen high type hands, I would play the same. Against a tricky player like the one you described, I think you played it fine as well, although I would consider dumping if an Ace showed up.

It's not just feel; it's reasonable.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a bit frustrated because I can't really quantify anything here in a reasonable way. It was one of those rare times where everything was just "feel". The flop 3-bet just "felt" strange. Am I crazy? Should I have just dumped it on the first flop bet?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-15-2005, 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't you want to raise preflop 4 handed with a pocket pair?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not in the big blind.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:47 AM

WA/WB. He very well could have a king. Or not. So turn call does not protect your hand if you are ahead. Raise or fold on turn then. Raise against laggers. Fold against more legitimate betting opponents. Don't worry about FPS.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
WA/WB. He very well could have a king. Or not. So turn call does not protect your hand if you are ahead. Raise or fold on turn then. Raise against laggers. Fold against more legitimate betting opponents. Don't worry about FPS.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are other things to do besides trying to protect hands...
Old 07-15-2005, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If this guy isn't a complete maniac, I raise the turn and check the river unimproved. I like this move, because I have a little more fold equity with the turn raise and it costs the same to see a showdown. If I think this guy is capable of bluff 3-betting me on the turn, I'd just call down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this line as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

It can be good. I don't think I like it here.

Raising for a free showdown can be good when,

1. You might get a better hand to fold. Generally this means someone has a pair better than yours.
2. You might be ahead. This is really important since if you aren't ahead putting extra bets in sucks.
3. You don't have a lot of draws. There are times where a free showdown raise is good also with a draw, but by default it's better without. This is because you don't want to pay 3-bets with a decent draw. (Decent is 5 outs or more)
4. Your opponent can't be capable of a bluff 3-bet. If he is, bet-fold lines are too risky.
5. Your opponent might be on a draw. Charge him.

In this particular hand, I don't like a turn raise for a free showdown. Here are the reasons.

1. We might get him to fold a better hand but it's very unlikely. The reason is he 3-bet the flop on a paired board. This means a really large % of the time he is going to showdown with either a pp or a king.

2. This is the crux of the issue. I don't think you are ahead often enough to put bets in here. Most of the time this line is used in a spot where you have a decent chance at being ahead and the chance of a 3-bet is pretty low. Because the 3-bet doesn't come often you can fold to it pretty easily. This also combines with point 4.

3. We have a 2-outer. No shame in folding two outs if we are behind.

4. Villian bet-3bet an uncoordinated paired flop. This isn't the standard line with trips but we can't rule out a king. Hero had a read that Villian was pretty fancy and could get out of line with a 3. This is exactly the kind of opponent that could bluff-3bet the turn. (I include 3-betting with a 3 in this category). Given the action I expect to get 3-bet a LOT here.

5. There are no draws. Make raising for a free showdown less favorable.

One other non-favorable factor is if he is on a bluff, he will often bluff the river. So when you raise for a free showdown, all you are really doing is winning the same 2 bets. (Unless he folds his bluff on the turn, then you win 1 less)

I think Hero played this hand to perfection.

Krishan
Old 07-15-2005, 11:11 AM

Great analysis. Thanks.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:35 AM

Thanks for the input. I'm still trying to get the hang of when this play is a good option.