Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 02:09 PM

Default Re: Male vs. Female

I think that if men have an advantage, it is that they feel more comfortable, based on experience or gender roles or whatever, with aspects of poker like being assertive, being aggressive, being confrontational, looking someone up, and not second-guessing themselves.

If women have an advantage, in my opinion, it is in managing their ego's, reading opponents more roundly (than just betting history/tendencies), and being able to right themselves more quickly if they tilt.

I think it's all relative, even the mathematical/analytical aspect. The type of people I know who enjoy poker already are inclined in this way.

I don't deny that my impressions may be sexist. I'm mostly basing my opinion on my own experience. The most difficult aspect for me as a beginner is feeling comfortable being aggressive and second-guessing my decisions. On the other hand, compared to my competition, I don't tend to chase a losing hand when someone comes over the top of my big bet or the flop misses my AK.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Besides, some poker chicks are hot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never played with or witnessed a hot woman poker player on T.V. Oh, unless you want to count the matador's daughter on tilt.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:41 PM

im about to make comments that will make most everyone look stupid (mostly because im blunt) but its my view so if your easily offended go away.

1)whoever said women were on average smarter than men...no... women care more about acedemics, on average, than men. More guys than girls just 'don't care' about school work (rightfully so imo) so females work harder towards acedemic goals, thus looking smarter.
why? (keep in mind this is all opinion and personal observation) Because females are 1)told its harder for them to succeed out there (i wont get into conversation about whether this is true or not). and 2) females crave compliments, doing well in school is a way to get compliments from daddy, boyfriend, whatever. and 3) females are (because its how society breeds them) more caring in general with near everything. 4) females need validation (did i say that right?).

now one thing i will give females when it comes to acedmic learning is communication skills. Since they are better communicators, they may more easily soak in whatever point their professor is trying to convey. Otherwise i think most things are fairly equal, maybe slightly toward the male side for math/science.

while we're at it lets make a black only WSOP event, and a hispanic only WSOP event. hell, why not a gay/lesbian one as well.

shouldn't this be in the psychology forum? :P
Old 06-16-2005, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The above statement about the relative mathematical abilities of men and "girls" is highly offensive, as are many things women poker players face at the table. In some countries, about 5% of the mathematicians are women. In others, about 50% of the mathematicians are women. As a mathematician, it's pretty clear to me that there is a strong social component to the choice of fields, and some cultures discourage competent women from entering or staying in fields where they can be successful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why the hyper-sensitivity? I don't see what's so offensive about it. Regardless of the external reasons, men ARE IN GENERAL, better at Math. It's a proven fact and hardly a knock on female intelligence.
Women are better at English (unfortunately that's useless in poker). They also have a superior ability to read people, which is not useless.
Although I am not a big NL player, I personally think sex appeal + reading ability can at least equal if not trump mathematical acuity at the poker table. This hypothesis is not reflected in final tables because obviously, not enough women play seriously for whatever reason.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
im about to make comments that will make most everyone look stupid (mostly because im blunt) but its my view so if your easily offended go away.

1)whoever said women were on average smarter than men...no... women care more about acedemics, on average, than men. More guys than girls just 'don't care' about school work (rightfully so imo) so females work harder towards acedemic goals, thus looking smarter.
why? (keep in mind this is all opinion and personal observation) Because females are 1)told its harder for them to succeed out there (i wont get into conversation about whether this is true or not). and 2) females crave compliments, doing well in school is a way to get compliments from daddy, boyfriend, whatever. and 3) females are (because its how society breeds them) more caring in general with near everything. 4) females need validation (did i say that right?).

now one thing i will give females when it comes to acedmic learning is communication skills. Since they are better communicators, they may more easily soak in whatever point their professor is trying to convey. Otherwise i think most things are fairly equal, maybe slightly toward the male side for math/science.

while we're at it lets make a black only WSOP event, and a hispanic only WSOP event. hell, why not a gay/lesbian one as well.

shouldn't this be in the psychology forum? :P

[/ QUOTE ]

Well this post is going to REALLY belong in the psych forum, but...
I agree mostly. I've even noticed the part about women having better work ethic carries over into the workplace as well. They freak out about every little detail, while men are laid back browsing ESPN.com for half the day.

I also think pop culture sort of brainwashes some of us about intelligence subconsciously. I mean turn on the TV: The Simpsons, Everyone Loves Raymond, King of Queens...when was the last show you saw that featured a smart husband and his dumb wife?
Old 06-16-2005, 06:27 PM

sometimes it works out cheaper than going to a strip club though
Old 06-16-2005, 06:58 PM

If the organizers of the WSOP want have an all chick tournament, that is thier perogative. It doesn't bother me, and I'm not sure why it bothers you.

Personally, I like hot girl on girl action.

Edit: I do admire Annie Duke's decision (and the logic behind it) not to enter the 2004 all chick tourney.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:58 PM

women don't belong at the poker table, they belong at the kitchen table
Old 06-16-2005, 08:04 PM

Do you know why God made women's feet shorter?

Answer in white:
<font color="white"> So they can stand closer to the sink. </font>
Old 06-16-2005, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The above statement about the relative mathematical abilities of men and "girls" is highly offensive, as are many things women poker players face at the table. In some countries, about 5% of the mathematicians are women. In others, about 50% of the mathematicians are women. As a mathematician, it's pretty clear to me that there is a strong social component to the choice of fields, and some cultures discourage competent women from entering or staying in fields where they can be successful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why the hyper-sensitivity? I don't see what's so offensive about it.

[/ QUOTE ]
One thing that was offensive was that it mentioned men vs. girls. If you don't think it is offensive to deny someone's adulthood constantly, ask a 70-year-old black man about being called "boy."

It's offensively ignorant to repeat a stereotype that is both wrong and a poor explanation for the participation level of women in poker. Playing poker does not require you to solve algebraic equations at the table, and by the way, in many regions, girls do better than boys in math through algebra. (At some point after algebra, many capable girls start avoiding mathematics classes. It used to be that this avoidance started much earlier. The change has nothing to do with innate ability.) The tremendous disparity between the participation of men and women in poker has nothing to do with an imagined innate inability to do the trivial amount of mathematics required. It is a social issue.