Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is it salvageable?
Boo ya momma 76 76.77%
Dude you blew it 23 23.23%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-10-2005, 10:26 AM

Default Flopped set - what\'s your preference?

Bingo, you've flopped a set on a safe board against a preflop aggressor and you're first to act/checked to you. In general, how do you prefer to play it?
Old 06-10-2005, 10:29 AM

Default Re: Flopped set - what\'s your preference?

Stack sizes are too important to not be considered in the question. If we're short and I can c/r all-in without it being a massive overbet, I'll do that. If we're both deep, I'd rather lead and hope to get raised so I can get it all-in on the turn and river.

If you flop a set on a safe board, you shouldn't be thinking about what you want to do on the flop. You should be thinking of the line that will best get all the money in.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:32 AM

What about a multi way pot with average(full buy in) stacks? Are you leading here most of the time?
Old 06-10-2005, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you flop a set on a safe board, you shouldn't be thinking about what you want to do on the flop. You should be thinking of the line that will best get all the money in.

[/ QUOTE ]
I know the texture of the board is important, but in general, does leading the pot get more money in by the river?

I ask because lately I've started leading out my sets and getting raised like crazy, wondering if others have the same experience.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:40 AM

Position is important here. If the preflop raiser is directly after me, I'll let him lead into the field and then I can check/raise and trap a lot of money in there. If I'm directly after him, I'm less likely to raise as I don't mind others coming along, too (this all assumes a safe board).

Basically, unless stacks are very deep, my goal from the moment I see that I've flopped a set is to figure out the best possible way of getting all my money in. If I'm thinking about a checkraise, I have to be fairly sure somebody will bet because, if the flop gets checked around, it can be very difficult to get my stack in with just two betting rounds (the turn and river).

The bottom line is that "what am I going to do on the flop?" is not the right question-- the right question is "what line of flop/turn/river actions will be the best way to get all my money in?"
Old 06-10-2005, 10:41 AM

w/ 100bb stacks in a multiway pot w/ a set, i'm leading 95% of the time. BUILD THE POT!
Old 06-10-2005, 10:53 AM

theres also a big difference if it has been checked to you from the PF aggressor or if you a first to act and need to lead into 'X' number of players.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:02 AM

What do you mean by a safe board and are you just referring to low pp or say hitting a q with qq?
Old 06-10-2005, 11:23 AM

This depends on so many things.

Perhaps these are the most important factors:

How likely is villain to have a big pocket pair? And if he has a big pocket, how likely is he to raise my little over half-pot bet? Will he raise to take it down if he has AK (or whatever else)? Is he good enough to check the overpair behind on the turn when I go for the check raise? (If he is, check raising the flop is probably better in general, since I can lead the turn without showing the awful ammount of strength in a stop and go. But if he is good, I'll have to mix it up. (Leading and check raising with good hands/bluffs.))

Position and stack size is very important too. Ghazban summed that up pretty well.