Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 08:53 AM

Default Re: Navy Seals vs Army Rangers vs other special forces vs UFC

[ QUOTE ]
Scotty's point about not having to have actually broken someone's arm in an armbar to be perfectly capable of applying an armbar and doing it applies here.

[/ QUOTE ]
This much is true. But the point is that most competent UFC fighters learn to apply an armbar while doing heavy or hard sparring, where the opponent is resisting.

Yes, there are ways to practice those techniques (goggles and pads) but is this the sort of training that the SEALs receive with that sort of equipment? We're all pretty much guessing since it seems that none of us have experienced SEAL training first hand, but since the chance of a SEAL soldier being totally unarmed is incredibly slim, the amount of time spent training them to be competent enough to take on a skilled UFC fighter is probably wasted because that time that could have been spent on much more likely scenarios.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In hand to hand combat, who would you bet on. Which group of trained fighters.

I would have to say the UFC guys. After all, they fight hand to hand for a living, it seems like they would be the best in the world.

From what I understand of special forces training, the hand to hand combat part is usually a really condensed version of what the UFC guys get. Seals do it for a month or 2, UFC guys train it for life?

Had some discussion about it before, figured I would pitch it here.

blake

[/ QUOTE ]

Disclaimer: served 5 years in the Marine Corps. Spent the last 18 months aboard a Navy ship based in San Diego. Worked Daily with the Seal team assigned to our group.

It's the UFC guys and it's not close. The Seals are bad-assed, as are the Army Rangers I've come into contact with. To a man, they are all in outstanding physical shape. They are trained for endurance, the ability to think while tired/under duress, and most, to be honest, are bat-[censored] crazy.

However, they specialize. Small weapons, fire-team tactics, demolition, and extraction are what the Seals train for. They don't do "tons" of hand to hand combat, they don't want to be in a situation where they have to. If the need arises, certainly they are more than capable of defending themselves. But against someone who trains hand to hand for years on end?

No contest. I'd bet there are plenty of Seals/SF guys who would be willing though.

The Seals I knew were incredible. The stuff they did on a regular basis, wow. Tough as nails.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:57 AM

My cousin is marrying a SEAL at the end of the month. I will goad him into a hand-to-hand fight at the ceremony and post a trip report.

EDIT: I'm not a UCF fighter, although I've seen it on TV.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:27 AM

make sure you use your anger as motivation, I recommend the $640 bank fiasco.

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2005, 11:41 AM

i'm guessing those in this thread might be interested by this:

http://fightauthority.com/modules.ph...pic&t=2776

LOTS of videos...
Old 12-08-2005, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My cousin is marrying a SEAL at the end of the month. I will goad him into a hand-to-hand fight at the ceremony and post a trip report.

EDIT: I'm not a UCF fighter, although I've seen it on TV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please have someone videotape this.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Disclaimer: served 5 years in the Marine Corps. Spent the last 18 months aboard a Navy ship based in San Diego. Worked Daily with the Seal team assigned to our group.

It's the UFC guys and it's not close. The Seals are bad-assed, as are the Army Rangers I've come into contact with. To a man, they are all in outstanding physical shape. They are trained for endurance, the ability to think while tired/under duress, and most, to be honest, are bat-[censored] crazy.

However, they specialize. Small weapons, fire-team tactics, demolition, and extraction are what the Seals train for. They don't do "tons" of hand to hand combat, they don't want to be in a situation where they have to. If the need arises, certainly they are more than capable of defending themselves. But against someone who trains hand to hand for years on end?

No contest. I'd bet there are plenty of Seals/SF guys who would be willing though.

The Seals I knew were incredible. The stuff they did on a regular basis, wow. Tough as nails.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. 5 years in the Corps. Did quite a few exercises with the Seals at Coronado, as well as ops with the Force Recon Marines from Pendleton and Battalion Recon from Oki.

Entirely true. These guys spend much more time with weapons than hand-to-hand, but they do spend significant time on it as well. I have a friend (former Recon) who's a civilian contractor now and trains Seals in hand-to-hand on the East Coast. I'll shoot him an e-mail and ask him his thoughts.

However, I would add that while they don't train as extensively as the UFC guys in terms of hours dedicated to hand-to-hand, a lot of these guys are heavily into the martial arts outside of their formal training. And their training isn't designed for the UFC rules. They aim to immediately incapacitate by any means.

With all that said, yeah, UFC wins most of the time.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:43 PM

but who would you rather walk with through Baghdad or Camden?
Old 12-08-2005, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm guessing those in this thread might be interested by this:

http://fightauthority.com/modules.ph...pic&t=2776

LOTS of videos...

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you post there, asofel? I've been there for a couple years now (TKDman-forum was updated so the farthest back it'll go will be May 15 05).

For specifically the argument we've been having here, see this thread there:
http://fightauthority.com/modules.ph...pic&t=2976
Old 12-08-2005, 02:36 PM

Are they not trying to actually kill each other? If they are, any special forces over UFC