Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2005, 12:10 PM

Default Re: NBA Trade Rumor

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like this trade for Phoenix, either. I know they need to get bigger. But adding Kurt Thomas (who'll be often be undersized in the West) isn't going to turn them into a defensive juggernaut. They are still going to need to score a bunch of points to win. And I think giving up Q (premier three-point threat who opens the floor up) may hamper their offense enough such that the marginal improvement on the defensive end won't be enough to compensate for the loss of his offense.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, but I actually think any trade for any halfway decent center is a great trade for Phoenix. They have too many players who do exactly the same thing. Joe Johnson and Q are basically carbon copies of each other, and Marion is very similar except that his strength and jumping ability make him more versatile. The trade isn't meant to make them a defensive juggernaut, it's meant to allow the Suns' big men to play their natural positions. Amare Stoudemire had an amazing year as a severely undersized center, imagine the havoc he'll wreak on the power forwards of the league. Same goes for Marion moving from 4 to 3. They're trading something they already have too much of for a piece they've been desperately missing.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:12 PM

Some items not mentioned. The Knicks are getting a 2007 first rounder. The knicks get younger, we lost one of our better players BUT we have a glut of Power Forwards. The Knicks will draft Channing Frye and make a run at Steven Hunter to get bigger up front.

I like this trade.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:44 PM

When I originally posted my thoughts, I thought the Knicks gave up the pick. Now that I see the Knicks get the draft pick (albeit in late 1st round) I am not upset over the deal.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:09 PM

steve nash, joe johnson, shawn marion, amare stoudamire, and kurt thomas is just NASTY, period.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:14 PM

Agree with Phoenix1010. Amare complained the whole season about playing C. He wants to play his natural position at PF. Now he'll get to do that. And dominate. You want him on your fantasy team next year. Marion back at the 3 creates huge mismatches.

The Suns gain size, strength, and interior defense, without compromising the running game. They can run just as well with Nash, JJ, Marion, and Amare racing downcourt, they don't need all 5 to be quicker than lightning. KT getting more rebs, then giving it to Nash also means there will be even more running opportunities.

Great trade for Pho. Balances the team out, and more importantly, enables them to re-sign both Amare and JJ, which they weren't gonna be able to do before.

It's fine for NY, too, not as boneheaded as some of Isaiah's other moves. They've been shopping Thomas for the last year; he wasn't taking them anywhere. They wanted to play Sweeney full-time in the post sooner rather than later. They're drafting Channing Frye at C, now he'll get a chance.

Q is not repetition for NY. He replaces Allan Houston who was useless last year, but still had a little sympathy in NY due to his tenure. Marbury, Crawford, Q, and TT can all get 35+ min soaking up all the time at the 1, 2, and 3 spots. PF and C have potential in the young guys, but no depth, especially when one of them flounders, which will happen. The bonehead move was trading Nazr for Rose last season. Anyway, with NY getting a future first-rounder, it's definitely a more-than-fair deal.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Joe Johnson and Q are basically carbon copies of each other,

[/ QUOTE ]

no way, Q has been amazingly overrated since Depaul. Joe Johnson is sooooo much better on both ends of the court. Q is a chucker (8 3s a game) who can't play good D and fails to create his own shot. And where was he in the playoffs- nowhere. I agree with everything else. ship him and brandi to NY.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:53 PM

This would be a great trade for PHX. They have to dump someone b/c they absolutely have to keep JJ and if they get a C in return even better.