Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2005, 04:35 PM

Default Switching to MTT.

I'm quite bored with ring games so I think a permanent switch to multis may be in order.

In the past I've had very results with MTT's. I think I'm showing a profit but I havn't played near enough to gauge my skill level.

Are there any suggestions on a starting bankroll for MTT's? I'll stick to low buy-ins, $20 - $50 and I have a grand ready to go.

I've never read books on tournament play yet either. I'll order Harringtons book but I have a couple questions on the content. Do strategies discussed in such books apply do live and online tournies? Is there a point where such strategies differ between the two games?

I've just finished the 1st MTT of my journey. It was a $25+2 at Empire and I did poorly. I busted out 76th of 119, the hand that got me is as follows...
Blinds 100/200 UTG+1 ($4000) limps and it's folded to me in late pos., I have QQ with about $2100. UTG+1 has been seeing 60-70% of the flops throughout the tourny so I'm hoping a $800 raise is enough to get her out as well as the blinds. She calls [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Flop is Jh9c7c, checked to me. I have no idea what she has but I'm hoping she spiked a J and will let me dbl up. I go all-in for $1300 and am promptly called. She rolls KK, arg [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

I think I will move some cash to stars today as I hear they have the best MTT's. How are they at UB?

Comments/tips are appreciated.

outs
Old 01-24-2005, 05:17 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.
Default Re: Switching to MTT.

Bump

I have similar questions. 1) What is the proper bankroll to buy-in ratio for MTT's? 2) What sites offer the best variety of (lower) buy-in amounts? Empire has much more to offer than Party, for example. Are the other Party skins worth checking out? UB or PS?

Thanks
Old 01-24-2005, 05:22 PM

You guys need to specify what you want in a site....

I personally play UB and for lower buyin tourneys they currently provide the best structure BARNONE...there isnt even a possibility of arguing this since they went to stack of 1500 with 5-10 starting blinds.

For players with an appetite for 100+ buyins I suspect UB wouldnt provide the numbers and frequency they would want.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:24 PM

If you want lower buy-in tournies I recommend UB and Gaming Club. Both run several small buy-in tournies every day.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:24 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

As for your hand, if UTG+1 raises that frequently his limp should set off alarms. But you're not getting away from this hand no matter what.

I probably push it PF given your stack size. You're committed with your raise anyway, may as well give yourself a chance to steal.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:27 PM

Sorry. I was thinking in the $10-$30 range. Will definitely check out what UB has to offer. Structure sounds (click) real nice.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You guys need to specify what you want in a site....

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I did specify, MTT's, $20 -$50 buyins. How many of these go on in a day, how many players?

The structure of the UB does sound great, way better than Empires format. How are the payouts?

I just took a peak at stars' payouts, didn't figure out the %'s (I know it's probably just in the tourny section of the webpage) but it already looks way better than Empire.

outs
Old 01-24-2005, 05:33 PM

Stars has lots of low buy-in multis with big fields every day, and the structure is also good (1500, start at 10/20, 15 min. levels).
Old 01-24-2005, 05:34 PM

I knew zaxx was going to ring this one home.

I second that UB structure is the best in town. As for buyin amounts that up in the air. UB doesn't have as many tournaments a day as some of the other site or so I've heard. Buyin BR? Its tough to say because it depends on how good you are. The UB tournies have regularly over 200+ ppl so I would like to give my buyin at least what an average player would have if we all played the same ie. if you play in tournies where 120 play I'd go with 120x buyins. Remember lets say you are 6x better than the average player. You would have to play at least 20 tournaments to win statistically.

Tips:
(1)Play suited connectors in position up to one gappers when the blinds are low. You can make a killing.
(2) Never slowplay 2 pair.
(3) TPTK is never as good as it looks
(4) Don't be afraid to throw away good hands if the board is scary.
(5) BE PATIENT!

-Gryph
Old 01-24-2005, 05:37 PM

Great post,

Thank you Gryph.

outs