Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2005, 08:02 PM

Default re-raising maniac

Villian is a re-raising maniac. But I'm still new to the table and I've seen worse maniacs. I don't think he'd re-raise with KQ but I don't know if he'd fold it or not. I plan to fold the turn UI. If he has the Ace, I can hope to possibly cap the turn should I hit my set, but, again, I don't know for sure.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.33 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.16 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.16 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.16 BB
Old 12-18-2005, 08:54 PM

Default Re: re-raising maniac

get to showdown as cheap as possible with marginal made hands against maniacs
Old 12-18-2005, 09:06 PM

This basically comes down to whether he will fold random under cards to a flop raise. If he will, raise because you're ahead of his range and he will muck cards with outs. If not call down from the flop and let him bet his junk. I would lead toward calling down if I didn’t know.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
get to showdown as cheap as possible with marginal made hands against maniacs

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I really don't like this raise. You don't beat all that many hands, and the ones that you do beat, you want to let him keep spewing.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villian is a re-raising maniac. But I'm still new to the table and I've seen worse maniacs. I don't think he'd re-raise with KQ but I don't know if he'd fold it or not.

[/ QUOTE ]
If he's actually a re-raising maniac, I think he's going to re-raise KQ every time here.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he's actually a re-raising maniac, I think he's going to re-raise KQ every time here.

[/ QUOTE ]

He would re-raise with garbage but not every time. Sometimes he would call to the river with a gutshot and 3 bet you after missing and sometimes he'd fold the flop. I know that against a guy whou usually re-raises with garbage, you are too get to the SD as cheaply as possible but I wasn't sure in this case.

I decided to protect my hand and once he re-raised me, I thought I had implied odds to see a turn. I turned a oesd and once I was on the river, I knew that seeing the SD was +ev. For the record, once he 3 bet me, I planned on folding the turn UI.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:37 PM

I fold this PF and wouldn't raise UTG with PP below 88.

Raising the flop against the player you described accomplishes nothing because you gain no information and have no real reason to believe that you are ahead more than 50% of the time. Turn and river look fine.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he will, raise because you're ahead of his range and he will muck cards with outs. If not call down from the flop and let him bet his junk.

[/ QUOTE ]

At first, I discounted this statement. But then I did the math. If villian bets the river UI with KQ then he is giving himself 2.2-1 odds to improve when he only has 4-1. If he check/folds the river then he is giving himself 3.6-1.

Clearly, I should not have tried to protect my hand.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:09 AM

i call down