Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2004, 01:10 PM

Default I don\'t know what to do with ATo

Just playing now on a pretty passive table, 6 and 7 handed what do you guys all do with ATo UTG, I've been folding it for a while but it feels wrong somehow. What do you think.

Regards Mack
Old 09-01-2004, 01:38 PM

Default Re: I don\'t know what to do with ATo

It depends, of course, on the stacks and precise texture of the game, but generally, ATo UTG is very close to garbage, in a 7-handed game. Of course, if you are VERY low, and the blinds are about to eat you, it's an auto push. As a big/huge stack you can raise with it to bully others around, but it's a marginal move, IMO. Your position is awful for such a dominated hand. If you are medium stack, it's a clear fold, IMO.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:19 PM

Thanks just wanted to know i wasn't a million miles away from the correct course of action.

Regards Mack
Old 09-01-2004, 02:37 PM

I don't think it's a clear fold on a passive table. I think it's worth a limp if you feel you can outplay the table (especially the BB), but not worth playing if you expect a raise behind you.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:39 PM

Raise, fold if reraised (unless by a small stack). Check call if an ace flops on a non scary board. Bet most flops that likely didn't help opponent, but don't be scared to release the hand if opponent shows aggresion.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:40 PM

Unless the game is short handed its an auto fold for me UTG. Maybe this is just a restatement of your question but my problem with it is I don't know what I want to flop with it. If I raise with it, get called and an A flops, what do I do then? It looses to any other playable A. If I was on a blind steal (and I generally don't steal UTG) or making some other play at the pot, I could have just as well stolen with some other hand where I have a better idea where I stand on the flop. I can't show it down (if an A falls on the flop) if i get any serious playback so I might as well be on total bluff. If I limp with it and then get raised preflop, what do I do then? A large portion of the standard raising hands have me dominated.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:42 PM

Ew, I hate this line. You don't want to play such a vulnerable hand in a big pot, you want to keep the pot small so you can get away from it.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ew, I hate this line. You don't want to play such a vulnerable hand in a big pot, you want to keep the pot small so you can get away from it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a great line. You are playing too tight if you think about folding this utg. And calling with ATo utg, wow, that is not good at all. Check calling with an ace on the flop usually kills the action unless you are beat, but usually the opponents will not bet enough to make you fold, and if they do decide they want to push in, the sometimes you can fold it.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:03 PM

I used to muck this one, but on passive tables I have been limping it in EP with mixed results...trick is to get out of the hand before it costs too much...I rather muck this than bluff from EP with it late in SnG if more than 4 players left unless I'm short...jmo
Old 09-01-2004, 04:24 PM

Interesting question,

I have done a calculation that shows that against 9 players, the probability of someone having an A with a better kicker than 10, given that you have A10, is only 33%....So against 7 guys it would be in the 20s....By this rational, it isn't complete garbage....If you are desperate,you can push, but if you aren't maybe u can pop it for a small raise and pop the flop...You probably would back down with too much aggression...

Indiana