Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-02-2004, 10:17 AM

Default How to Play Heads Up Monsters

Here is a hand from a $50+5 Sng on Party from last night. I think that I'm a pretty decent HU player, but I have a tough time deciding what to do when I get a monster hand and want to get paid off.

The problem with the way that I played this one is that sometimes is comes back to bite me in the rear. I don't think that checking the flop with a flush draw is the best play.

What is the normal risk vs. reward play in these situations. After looking at the results, this could have really ended ugly if I hadn't gotten a little lucky.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t500 (2 handed) converter

BB (t4520)
Hero (t5480)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Hero calls t250, BB checks.

Flop: (t1000) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (t1000) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (t1000) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets t1200</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t2400</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises to t4020 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls t1620.

Final Pot: t9040
<font color="green">Main Pot: t9040 (t9040), between BB and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (t9040).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB shows 4s 3s (straight, six high).
Hero shows Qs Qc (full house, queens full of sixes).
Outcome: Hero wins t9040. </font>