Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2005, 10:29 PM

Default AK vs. TAG

I think every street is debatable here. I'm most concern about the turn check, and whether there's any value in the river bet. Thoughts?

READS
Villain (BB) is a good TAG - 17/12/2.8 after over 1000 hands. I suspect he's 3-betting range is wider than normal, and he realises SB is overly loose. I'm assuming he also knows I raise first in pretty liberally

SB is loose - 70/2/0.6 after 30 or so hands, my read on him confirms he's loose

Party Poker 5.00/10.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (12.00 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: (9.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (9.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:41 PM

Default Re: AK vs. TAG

When I first saw the hand, my first thought was "bet the turn;" however, given the flop action, I like the turn check. Once he checks the river to you, it's an easy value bet.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:57 PM

I would have bet the turn and then if he raised, call and then check/call the river.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have bet the turn and then if he raised, call and then check/call the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think we're ever ahead when C/R'd on the turn and I think a Tag is folding to a bet when he's beat quite often. I think I like the turn check but I have no idea why OP is questioning the obvious river bet.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:25 AM

Yea, I didn't realize it was a TAG.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:44 AM

Yeah, I guess the river bet is a given. I was probably over thinking the hand, though I'm unsure whether villain would pay off with an underpair. With that being said, I have shown weakness on the turn and will likely induce a river call. My main concern was a river check-raise, since I thought villain thought I'd bet any river when checked too, and therefore villain had a good opportunity to check-raise me. I also thought it was most likely he was holding two pair or greater and that furthered my concerns.