Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2005, 09:22 AM

Default Flopped lowend str8 in BB max400

Prima Max 400

All stacks 500, both villains seems decent.

UTG limps, MP limps, SB completes and I check with 78o in BB.

Flop T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] pot 16

SB bets 12, I raise to 30, UTG folds, call, call.

Turn T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] pot 106

SB checks, I check, MP bet 40, call, call.

River T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] pot 226

SB bets 100, I fold.

Anywhere I should have played it different?

Results in white:

<font color="white">
MP called with Kh Qh for the top str8 and SB showed JT for a full.

What do you think of MP's play here, flopping the top straight with a nice redraw?

</font>
Old 07-08-2005, 09:52 AM

Default Re: Flopped lowend str8 in BB max400

Your raise was barely a min raise, so you gave good enough odds to anyone drawing for a flush or with a bare Q to call. I really think that, out of position on such a coordinated board that would hit so many limping hands you should not raise this board. You are out of position, and you will really never know whether you need to keep betting to keep out heart draws and Q open enders or whether you should slow down because someone has you nutted.
After there is a bet, your raise, and a smooth call of both, you have to put someone on a higher straight than you. Your hand is really vulnerable here, you have no chance of improving and a good chance of drawing dead. I don't know if I would even call a turn bet here.

That being said, your line was ok except for the turn call. You checked the turn, meaning you thought you were beat, yet you called another bet.

Think of all the cards that make your hand look very weak: a 8,9,10,J,K, heart. Thats a lot of cards that probably screw you over, even if you were ahead to begin with.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:46 AM

I agree that my hand is very vulnerable, why I had big trouble finding the right thing to do on the flop.

I don't like calling because I will invite many weaker hands to take controll and I don't like raising too big because a call from any op gives no info and makes a big pot oop, so I tried to come to a cheap showdown.

How can I fold the turnbet? I need to call 40 into a 186 pot. This could be a set or a draw or he is trying 2 pair off.

But you are right I feared MP had the topstraight, I just couldn't see how I could be certain enough.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:29 AM

If you are just going to call a bet, you are opening yourself up to a lot of heat. MP may be semibluffing any of the hands you described (heart draw, open ender with the Q) or betting another made hand (two pair or a set). With three players in the hand, chances are that any of the scare cards I described in my post will make somone a better hand.

I agree, this is a tough hand, and I can't really think of the best line. A bigger flop raise would let you see where your at a bit more clearly, but does a cold caller behind you have the nuts or a set? Should you bet the turn if called or no? The butt end of the straight is not a hand I want to play a large pot out of position with.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:14 PM

I don't mind the flop raise. It's a little small but that's alright b/c its an informational raise. The amount of scare cards that could come for top straight if they don't have specifically khqh is so many that I don't think a thinking player slow plays here, so you probably have the best hand. On the turn the information you received on the flop is that you probably have the best hand right now, so I would put in a big bet to make the draws pay. Combinationally qh th is just as likely as khqh. If get raised on the turn dump the hand. You've represented the straight and the raiser still doesn't care so you're probably beaten. On the end, against two callers a fold is an order. Heads up I probably check call a bet on the end but a regular player is not going to try a bluff out two players on this board. I understand being worried about top straight but I think this board is so draw heavy that it actually decreases the likelyhood of one of your opponents having it.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:34 PM

Good lay down....