Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2005, 01:47 PM

Default A marginal hand situation

I am sitting in a 2/4 game that full of terrible post-flop players that are willing to give up their stack on marginal holdings.

Both me and the villain are sitting on stacks of about 800.

4 callers, I limp on the button with 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB completes and BB checks.

Pot is around 30.
Flop: J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

It is checked to me, and I bet 25. SB thinks, and raises to 75. I've played with this player before, and this raise probably indicates top pair. He has a tendency to slowplay, and I am an aggressive player, so I rule out a set. Garbage 2 pair is possible, but my read is one pair.

It folds to me. What do you do from here? Results to follow.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:05 PM

Default Re: A marginal hand situation

If you read him for top pair, which he is capable of folding, i would try to move him off the pot. I doubt he is paying off much if the diamond comes, on the other hand, a 3 on the turn would get paid big if he has a decent kicker.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:38 PM

what are you looking for with 32s?
Old 06-23-2005, 02:44 PM

This sort of situation. It's worth a limp if i can stack someone. You're right though, a fold preflop would have saved me some worry.

Anyway, I ended up just calling his raise, not wanting to play a large pot. The turn was the 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] giving a board of
J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Pot around 200.

He led out for 100. I thought this was a really weak bet, so I pushed all in, thinking he was solid enough to fold. Boy was I wrong when he called and turned up J10.

River: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I sucked out, but in retrospect I was a favorite on the fop and only about a 60/40 dog on the turn.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:50 PM

if your read is top pair then i think a reraise is in order. you have a monster flop for 23s. the combination of immediate folding equity, future bluffing equity, and a free river card makes it the right play imo.

however realize that any other hand besides top pair you are in bad shape against. a set, any two pair, a semibluffing nut flush draw, etc.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:04 PM

Playing with you on UB, I know your tendancies and would expect opponents to pay you off on marginal holdings due to your highly aggressive style.

Push the flop. You have a pair and a flush draw and fold equity. Your opponent may or may not call with J and a crappy kicker, but give yourself the chance to win it at the flop while your equity in the hand is high.

The way you called it, you lost that equity by drawing to a blank turn and got lucky that your opponent didn't bet bigger forcing you to fold.

BTW, in case you didn't know, I was the player in this hand:

Welcome to 2+2 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Garland

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (9 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

CO ($303.80)
Button ($348.30)
SB ($680.50)
BB ($282.20)
<font color="#C00000">Garland ($770.85)</font>
<font color="#C00000">UTG+1 ($450.50)</font>
MP1 ($1301.60)
MP2 ($781.10)
MP3 ($431.70)

Preflop: Garland is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
Garland calls $4, UTG+1 calls $4, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Button calls $4, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($20) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Garland checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets $20</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, Garland calls $20.

Turn: ($60) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Garland checks, UTG+1 checks.

River: ($60) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Garland bets $33</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to $140</font>, Garland calls $107.

Final Pot: $340
<font color="#009B00">Main Pot: $340, between Garland and UTG+1.</font> &gt; <font color="#FFFFFF">Pot won by Garland ($340).</font>

Results below:
Garland has Ac As (two pair, aces and fives).
UTG+1 has Qh 6h (one pair, fives).
Outcome: Garland wins $340.