Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 01:05 PM

Default Worth getting involved?

MTT online. 100 Players left (212 started top 30 pays) Ave stack is 5K you are sitting on 6200 with 150-300 blinds. You have just been moved to a table and are one off the button and look down at KcQc. UTG (3600) raises to 600 and everyone folds to you. Whats your play here? Fold Call Raise (prob not). Reasons and why. I called flop was Kd 3c 5c. A great flop all things considered. But UTG bets 1500 agains whats your action? Raise fold all in? Results to be posted later.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:07 PM

Default Re: Worth getting involved?

Fold preflop. Push the flop.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:08 PM

I would have called pf. On the flop, it looks like villain has AK (KK less likely). I would probably push here.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:23 PM

It's a marginal call. You're probably behind but if the flop hits you it could be a big hand. But there are still a few people to act behind you and you'll often see a raise by the button or blinds to isolate if they have picked up anything or are an aggressive player. But it doesn't cost you that much all things considered - you're getting over 1.5 to 1 odds and will likely get the BB to call since he's getting great odds.

You have to know beforehand what type of flop you're willing to play. This is one of those hands that flopping top pair can cost you your stack. So, before you call, what's your plan? If you flop top pair and it's checked to you, what will you do? What if he bets and you have top pair? What type of flop are willing to go all the way with?

This is clearly a good flop with you having top pair and the second nut flush draw. You're even money against AA if he doesn't have the A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I would push the flop.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:25 PM

Follow the cow.

Old 06-22-2005, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop. Push the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-22-2005, 02:04 PM

I'm assuming the button and blinds mucked preflop. I like your call before the flop because you have position and this is the point in the tourney where you have to start taking some chances and accumulating chips as the blinds accelerate.

On the flop, I dont agree with the push because you're missing out on alot of equity pushing in the spot. While you only have top pair, you've also got the top pair of Ks with the flush draw...this is the perfect time to slowplay a modest holding (at the moment). There arent any legitimate straight draws out there, so if you're ahead, you've got him completely dominated to 1 or 2 outs (if he has an underpair or a hand like AQ). The only hands you have to worry about drawing out on you are AJc or AQc, which the odds are stacked against.

Smooth call here and hope he fires another volley on the turn where you can push over the top and blow him off the pot or hopefully suckout on his AK or AA (no regrets as your money is getting in on at this point in the tourney on this board regardless).
Old 06-22-2005, 02:32 PM

what where you hoping for when you called PF?

I think your way ahead of villain's range here (3:1), If you push you give him a chance to laydown AQ, AJs.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:41 PM

villain has 1500 left after betting 1500. if you push now, i think any Ax stacks off, but if you wait, it might not. also if a scare card like the Ac comes, a mediocre hand like 77 might check-fold the turn but would have called a flop push.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:59 PM

Well i guess i was hoping for a flop liked this. I did push being the aggressive player that i am and he had A A no club. Which is what probably the best i could of hoped for i think im a slight fav on this flop with my hand. KK im in bad shape and AK im dont have as many outs. What i do regret is the preflop decision. KQ is not a that great of a hand. I think my only mistake was getting involved in the first place. I had a healthy stack and with no information to prove otherwise i should have folded to an UTG raise. (esp considering Slansky GAP Theory) Well the turn and river were blanks and i was down to 2k I built back up to 3 and than lost to a four card flush SE LA VI. Still unsure if this is a good spot to try to accumlate chips. Maybe im being to results oriented but i think i should have folded preflop. Post flop my push was almost certainly justified.