Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2005, 01:48 AM

Default 2/5 NL game at the Bellagio

On Tuesday night, Matt Flynn, Felson, Bugstud and myself take over a 2/5 NL game at the Bellagio. At the time of the hand in question, there was close to $5,000 on the table (I had the largest stack at about $1,200), which is why I chose to post here instead of the small stakes NL section. 8 of the 10 players were straddling, and the table was pretty crazy.

I am straddling in the 5 seat, the 9 seat makes it $35 to go, Matt F and 2 others call. I look down and find A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I call. Flop is J? high with 2 small clubs. I bet $200 and everyone folds. After the hand, Matt, Felson and I discuss that I should have raised more, or maybe even checked then pushed to any bet.

Although I called pre-flop(we were donking around quite a bit), I don't think that I really have the odds to call there under normal situations.

How many players need to be in at $35 to make A2s a profitable call in this scenario?
Old 06-24-2005, 02:10 AM

Default Re: 2/5 NL game at the Bellagio

3 callers to you and 1200 behind? I make this call without even thinking. Is this where all my money is going? Am I missing something, is this not routine?
Old 06-24-2005, 04:07 AM

CCass had the deep stack. The other stacks were all around 400 or 500. Does that change anything?
Old 06-24-2005, 08:11 AM

I'd like 4 way action or better with my hand, but since you're stradding you're only calling 25, then, right? I make that call without even thinking.

oh yeah, i'd checkraise all-in here assuming normal action. gives hands like AK a great chance to make a huge EV mistake by folding the best hand with great pot odds after their flop bet. also gets more dead money in the pot.

fim
Old 06-24-2005, 09:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like 4 way action or better with my hand, but since you're stradding you're only calling 25, then, right? I make that call without even thinking.

oh yeah, i'd checkraise all-in here assuming normal action. gives hands like AK a great chance to make a huge EV mistake by folding the best hand with great pot odds after their flop bet. also gets more dead money in the pot.

fim

[/ QUOTE ]

The more we discussed the hand, the more Matt had me convinced that check-raising all-in was a better play in this spot.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:47 AM

I would be happy with taking down that pot on the flop uncontested.

I also think that, because of the straddled pots you should play a bit looser to take down the dead money in the pot, and that a call with A2s is fine (especially when you are aggressive enough to "steal" the pots that nobody wants after the flop.)
Old 06-24-2005, 03:50 PM

I'm confused. Why chk raise aginst three opponents who could all easily have the best hand here? My get tells me that what you did was better. If somone has the Jx [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img](never mind a set), then you're over a barrel if they reraise your check raise. You are, after all, still a dog to any made hand, yes?

I'm just lost about this advice... could someone explain the logic behind a check raise?

Marlow
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 06-24-2005, 03:56 PM

preflop is ridiculously standard.

post flop, I am in the CR all in club. its a far better line for alot of reasons.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:55 PM

You're not really much of a dog against, say, JQ. Any A, any club is 12 outs, plus you might also have a gutshot if the clubs are low enough.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
preflop is ridiculously standard.

post flop, I am in the CR all in club. its a far better line for alot of reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly.