Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2005, 11:39 AM

Default Very tough spot for me in a 600 game

This is a pot-limit game. Player in MP is playing at least two tables that I know of but appears to have recently gone on big time tilt. Hes telling people off at the table and has started raising to the max preflop much more than he was the first ~150 hands (fwiw). He has also been very aggressive postflop as of late. Pushing everyone off of the pot with pot size bets just about any chance he got. Ive been sitting around for quite some time not making any noise, waiting for a good time to get my money in.

I have 600ish, he has over 1k.
I get A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] UTG.
I limp. UTG1 folds, Villain raises to 27. Folded to me. I reraise 75 to go, he calls.

He could have a wide range of hands here, but this definately isn't "any two". Most likely two big cards or a mid pocket pair.

Flop comes 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Pot is ~150

What's my plan?
Old 06-23-2005, 12:45 PM

Default Re: Very tough spot for me in a 600 game

"I limp" Stopped reading there..

Why'O'Why would you limp?
Old 06-23-2005, 12:52 PM

Given your description of opponent and your hand...I check here...against a guy like this, I'd like to get to the river 90% of the time without having to sweat when I only have 1 pair. Plus there are a ton of hands now that could move you off your hand because of their current equity but who's equity goes way down once the turn bricks. He could also give you credit for slow playing a monster...QQ.

What do people do in this situation with QQ again?
Old 06-23-2005, 12:53 PM

Where did the villain raise from? Is he an observant player? If so, I would go ahead and bet the full pot if you think he perceives you as solid. I feel that anything less will be read as weak, and he will pop you back, and then you will be in a stickier situation than the one you are in right now.

Better to be the bettor in this situation.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He could also give you credit for slow playing a monster...QQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would never check QQ right here. Villain could easily have AhX or 10 10, and he would check back either of those hands. IMO, if you make a full pot bet this board is too scary to bluff at without a hand that is currently beating you.

The way the poster described the villain, he will bet the pot with any two cards if you check it to him.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:00 PM

And by the way Mark, since you live in East Lansing have you ever been to the 200 NL on either Frye Street or at ZBT ?
Old 06-23-2005, 01:00 PM

Bet the pot. Call unless a 4th heart come. Possibly check and reraise thats has some merit too.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:04 PM

I hear you, I guess I was just trying to keep the pot small/get to showdown as cheap as possible against this type of villain. Trying to exercise some form of pot control maybe. If I check the flop though I imagine I have to be willing to call any kind of heat he throws at me on the next 2 streets. Most opponents though on this board against a preflop raiser wtih his image won't double barrel bluff. So if he bets the turn hard and bets the river hard, assuming they are non-relevant, it's safe to assume you are behind. But if he bets the turn hard and checks the river, then I think you are good.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"I limp" Stopped reading there..

Why'O'Why would you limp?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well because I wanted to LRR. Looking back, I can see how this may not have been the best idea. I knew he would raise my limp quite often, but was unsure how often he would reraise a raise of mine (I dont think very often). In terms of pot control, I really have no idea what would have been best.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Given your description of opponent and your hand...I check here...against a guy like this, I'd like to get to the river 90% of the time without having to sweat when I only have 1 pair. Plus there are a ton of hands now that could move you off your hand because of their current equity but who's equity goes way down once the turn bricks. He could also give you credit for slow playing a monster...QQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

My read in the OP probably could have used a little more info. If I check he is very likely potting it. Both on the flop and the turn.