Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 04:06 PM

Default Re: Worth getting involved?

I like the call PF.

GAP is a guideline (a good one). Many players are willing to vary from GAP for a variety of reasons, dynamics, image, position, speculative hand, and just pure randomness.

KQs on the button is probably an easy variation from GAP for most players.

AA is an unlikely hand, If you were playing GAP you'd be in much worse shape than you were.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:06 PM

He really doesn't have to have AA to make that bet. And even if he does:

Result
http://twodimes.net/h/?z=1045285
pokenum -h kc qc - ad ah -- kd 3c 5c
Holdem Hi: 990 enumerated boards containing 5c 3c Kd
cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
Kc Qc 493 49.80 497 50.20 0 0.00 0.498
Ad Ah 497 50.20 493 49.80 0 0.00 0.502

So you'd love to get your chips in here.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:12 PM

I agree with the fold pf (marginal though) and push flop line.

On another point, I've been seeing a lot of this lately:

[ QUOTE ]
I think my only mistake was getting involved in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

It often comes up in the context of "I know I made mistake x on pf, but I am more interested in an analysis of my post-flop play." It seems to me that many posters are dismissing the pf mistake as just one part of the hand that they can rectify by better play post-flop. IMHO though, what often transpires is that the pf mistake severely cripples your post-flop decision making process by severely limiting your options - the focus then needs to be on how to avoid making the pf mistake (or why it was a mistake) rather than on how to get out of the jam once it has been created (which most often requires a fold - which nobody seems to want to accept).

It seems to me that there is a corollary to this in tournament strategy where making a bad play on hand "x" costs you chips and therefore limits the amount you can win when you play hand "y" properly.

Caveat: I am at work and this thought may not be fully developed. Ignore it if it is pointless. Back to the grindstone...
Old 06-22-2005, 04:18 PM

notice the raisers stack, even if you can stack him off, you're not getting paid off that well.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:44 PM

This is not marginal. You fold before the flop. Your at a new table and someone under the gun raises, you fold, next hand. KQ suited is a great hand, after an under the gun raise, you have 27. This is one most common leaks people have online. People call with this hand and then lose all their chips to AK. If you call the raise, the flop plays itself.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:26 PM

Great point.

That works against the call, but doesn't mean that alot of players won't make it. I think another factor in favor of the call is that hero will have to accumulate some chips at this mid-late tourney stage to stay ahead of the blind escalation.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:08 AM

I still think this was slightly loose call (mariginal leaning toward a fold) PF The key point being the guy was UTG and i had no info. UTG raises usually signify great strenght. And in online poker all too often people double the BB early with KK AK AA. Someone mentioned the guys stack of 3600. That was half the reason i got involved. I want to push the smaller stacks around here. With KcQc on the button if the UTG raiser had more chips in my estimation it becomes a clear fold there is no decision. As im above the ave. And the blinds arent killing just yet. After the flop i have no dount going all in is correct. Its a coinflip at that point and i want to accumulate chips. Each decision is independent of one another, while the PF decision was marginal the Flop decision was clear. Unfortuantly i picked tails on the flop and it cames heads. Se la vi theres always next tues, wen, thur....
Old 06-23-2005, 10:40 AM

I'll fold preflop, push the flop.