Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2005, 11:29 PM

Default Re: Opinions needed on enlisting after college

[ QUOTE ]
Luckily I got sent to the 82nd Airborne Division.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never forget when I was going to my assignment with the 82nd. This was back in '69, I'm cruisin' down I95, cross into North Carolina and the first thing I see is a big billboard announcing "Welcome to Klan Country". In '69!

Anyway, I was with the 173rd too, Airborne Infantry 11F4P, and jump school was the best part of my service.

And I still say don't do it.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
BS, the soldiers do the work, [censored] doesnt get done without them. Officers rarely have 24 hr duties, they have lower pt scores, they fire their weapons once a year, and do ZERO physical labor.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see what this has to do with pay. There are aspects of a job beyond physical work which require compensation.

[/ QUOTE ]

An E9 with 20 years time in service has a base salary of $4575 a month. An O3 with 6 years makes $4367. Now please tell me that a BDE CSM does less work than a battery commander and this pay is fair.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Luckily I got sent to the 82nd Airborne Division.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never forget when I was going to my assignment with the 82nd. This was back in '69, I'm cruisin' down I95, cross into North Carolina and the first thing I see is a big billboard announcing "Welcome to Klan Country". In '69!

Anyway, I was with the 173rd too, Airborne Infantry 11F4P, and jump school was the best part of my service.

And I still say don't do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, I'm no fan of Fayetteville, NC either, I left as soon as possible. Being a paratrooper was important to me. I'm glad I enlisted, and I'm also glad I didn't re-enlist.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
An E9 with 20 years time in service has a base salary of $4575 a month. An O3 with 6 years makes $4367. Now please tell me that a BDE CSM does less work than a battery commander and this pay is fair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know the details about either one of those jobs, all I know is that commissioned officer pay wasn't enough for me to even think about going that route. If my only options were stay enlisted or take a commission, I would still be an E-4 right now.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know the details about either one of those jobs, all I know is that commissioned officer pay wasn't enough for me to even think about going that route. If my only options were stay enlisted or take a commission, I would still be an E-4 right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brigade ~ 1800-2000 soldiers
Battery ~ 90-120 soldiers

It's just BS that a soldier dedicates his whole life to the Army, achieves a high rank and some shithead with a college degree makes more money doing less work.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

It's just BS that a soldier dedicates his whole life to the Army, achieves a high rank and some shithead with a college degree makes more money doing less work.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know the numbers, but you can't use that as an indication of how much work someone does. Very few of those 1800-2000 soldiers have any contact with their brigade CSM. I promise you that none of my brigade CSMs ever spent 1 minute of their time thinking about me, and I'd be surprised if they even knew my name. I doubt they spend much time working with anyone outside of their battalion CSMs, the CSM above them, and their staff. You still don't have me convinced that they work harder or have more personal responsibilities above the lowest level commanders.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:36 AM

What does personal contact have to do with anything? How often does the store manager at McDonalds interact with the fry cook? Ummm never. A BDE CSM has a 1000 more responsibilties than a battery commander, if you cant see that then you just go blindly along.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A CSM role is primarily ADVISORY in nature. He gives his thoughts/opinions to the Commander (especially concerning enlisted issues).

A Commander COMMANDS and is the one ultimately responsible for what the health, morale, training, welfare of his men and the care and maintenance of his property.

Pointing out random dipsh*t officers you've worked with doesn't strengthen your argument in the least. A couple guys negligent in their duties and not honoring their commissioning oath does not translate to that responsibility not being there to begin with.

If you're still not understanding this, I'll try another analogy: A CEO must make more money than an assembly line worker. Do you see why?
Old 10-03-2005, 09:49 AM

you want to be a ranger that means you want to kill some ragheads right?

i admire your courage, hopefully itll be what you think its going to be.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
From my personal experiences, fresh college engineering graduates do not know anything about real "hands on" engineering anyway so...

Engineering degree + military training, in just discipline alone = easy hire over fresh college grad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. After a four year enlistment, the OP would have forgotten most of what he learned in college.

The same thing happens to women in technical disciplines who take a couple of years off to have kids. When they try to reenter the workforce, they find their skills are several years out of date.

What do you do for a living? Do you actually hire people out of engineering school? Ever gone to a college campus to do recruiting?