Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 04:02 AM

Default Re: Resistance is Useless

If he can multistreet bluff and you didnt 3bet pref, I'd raise the river hoping he calls with some garbage he picked up on one of the later streets.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:57 AM

FOR THOSE WHO ENGAGED POST-FLOP

Excellent set of responses with quite some difference of opinion although all agree on a raise somewhere.

I mis-played here but, it happens sometimes when you are trying to formulate an alternative strategy in-play to a specific set of circumstances.

Having said that, I had already adopted this approach with a SD-able hand and have one of the LAGs bluff straight thro. As they would see me bet/raise anything decent here, my call is read as _air_ which is what I wanted. There are problems with this approach for a hand like this IMO, hence the post.

RESPONSE IN GENERAL TO THE PRE-FLOP POLICE.

I often play 2 short and one full table, and have been playing quite a bit of full-only. I find it a good tonic for relentless LAG-heads sucking on you SH.

There are problems though, in that one game can get _infected_ by the other (particularly with action on all tables at once and the doorbell going) and you find yourself calling in SH spots you should be raising and 3-betting Turns in full when you really need to be calling/folding.

It happens, it is not a big leak, please get over it. Try to work out what the post is about, rather than jumping on some minor point that a bunch of others have already jumped on... [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

One particularly annoying feature of this forum is the habit of multiple posters pointing their grubby fingers and saying _strike down the abomination of nature_.

It is ok if one or two make a comment about some PF anomaly, that is fair comment, but endless repetition is <also> useless. It may be relevant to the post-flop action but it actually is not the point of the post. PLEASE get over pre-Flop obsessions and concentrate of more constructive contributions in the spirit of the post.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:59 AM

I think you are right.

And no he was not reciting anything...but props for asking such a bizarre question. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2005, 08:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd 3bet pf.

If I didnt do that, I'd c/r the flop.

If I didnt do that, I'd c/r the turn.

If I didnt do that, I'd c/r the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im assuming we fold to a 3bet on the last two?
Old 11-23-2005, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One particularly annoying feature of this forum is the habit of multiple posters pointing their grubby fingers and saying _strike down the abomination of nature_.

[/ QUOTE ]
Amen. Especially since they are usually wrong as they are here. The dogmatism about preflop play in this forum is appalling. Limit hold'em is a much more complicated game then many posters seem to believe. If you can't call in this situation you are admitting that you only know one way to play this hand. That makes you much too readable. Calling to set up a postflop raise is a perfectly good way to play versus this opponent.

The problem with this hand is that the totality is wrong. It's one thing to defer the raise and quite another to never raise. You let him off too cheap. The worst that was going to happen after a raise on the flop or turn was that he might get away from a hand with outs. You could have profitably raised either street. But waiting to checkraise the river is fine if you know you can get away with it.

Since the river was your last chance I pronounce it wrong. The previous three calls are only mistakes because you didn't follow them up properly.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The previous three calls are only mistakes because you didn't follow them up properly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find about 5-6 hands like this per 1,000 played. Not exactly like this, but where some apparent plan never happened or otherwise inconsistent play. I know it is costing me bets.

I know this hand is wrong; I was merely interested in exploring options/ideas versus habitual bluffers.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:32 PM

yes
Old 11-23-2005, 05:38 PM

NB
Nonetheless I appreciate your comments Stellar, as they provide a useful (and very grounded) perspective on the mechanics/implications of the play.