Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-26-2005, 01:16 AM

Default $400 PL - Two AA Hands

Villian in both of these hands is LAG borderline maniac. He overvalues his hands way too much (saw him all in PF with KJs, saw him call down pot sized bet on river with third pair, two pot sized bets for a flush draw, etc.) and will bet when checked to almost every time. He will stay with any two cards that he limped with, and he will often limp with crap.

Not enough hands on him in PT to make much of a difference.

Hero's image has been fairly TAG and I have been table captain for a while, I have been showing down quality hands and cards every time I get to showdown, and have been taking down many pots uncontested.

Just recently, he has re-raised me twice in a row PF, and I folded both times.

$400 PL Texas Hold'em 5 Handed
BB: Hero Covers
UTG: Villian ( $457.28 )
SB ( $392.50 )

Hero posts big blind $4 .

Dealt to Hero A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="#666666"> 1 fold </font> Villian calls $4 <font color="#666666"> 1 fold </font> SB calls $2
<font color="red">Hero raises $12 (Remember, this is PL)</font> Villian calls $12 <font color="#666666">SB folds</font>

Flop ($28): 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero Checks <font color="red">Villian bets $10</font> Hero calls $10
How bad is this check call here? I was thinking that I would play it way ahead or way behind, since villian would bet both a K, any PP, or air, all the way to the river, he would likely re-raise me here with a K, but again, he also might do it with a PP, or air.
Turn ($48): K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])

Hero Checks <font color="red">Villian Bets $50. Hero Raises $150 to $200 .
Villian Raises $280 to $480 (all-in)</font> Hero Calls $280

I think that I made a critical error here in check-raising. I think it lets some hands get away, although against this particular villian, I don't think it was much of a problem, since he would likely try to get all in with any pair here.

River: A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])

Final Pot $916

During the next few orbits, I've been raising several pots, and getting raised and check folding on the turn on many of them, it probably looks like I'm playing fairly weak.

Then this hand comes up
$400 PL Texas Hold'em (6 handed)

Seat 3: Hero (BB) ( $1000 )
Seat 4: UTG ( $393.50 )
Seat 5: Villian (UTG+1) ( Covers )

Hero posts big blind [$4].

Dealt to Hero A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG calls $4. Villian calls $4. <font color="grey"> 2 folds</font> <font color="red">Hero raises $14 to $16 </font>. UTG folds. Villian calls $14
Flop ($38) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="red">Hero bets $35. Villian raises $65 to $100</font> Hero calls $65.

If stacks were a bit shorter, I would have re-raised the pot, but the board didn't seem too draw heavy or too likely to have hit (despite the fact that he often plays garbage cards), so I decided to see if I could keep the pot small.

Turn ($238): 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])
Hero checks.<font color="red">Villian bets $200</font> Hero calls $200.

I hit my straight, and I feel that he is still very likely to continue betting at this pot. I think that raising will blow him off of several hands that he will continue to bet with.

River ($638) : 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])
Hero checks. <font color="red">Villian bets $640.</font> Hero calls $640.

The full pot bet on the river has me worried, he might have backed into his flush, or a better straight, but he could just as easily be betting with a set or two pair here, I think that I'm good more than 33% of the time, so I call.

Final Pot $1920

Comments on any street greatly appreciated.