Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2005, 05:26 PM

Default Re: flop a set, how to extract?

got it.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:45 PM

My response is different than anybody else's... why do you raise the flop? If you don't raise the flop, you have not given away the strength of your hand. By reraising on the flop, you are saying you have something good --- probably better than top pair since there has already been a bet and a raise. I like smooth calling the flop, almost certainly the SB will come along. If a scare card comes on the turn, play it cautiously, but here, somebody could have easily have a made hand. Then make your move on the turn, not the flop. If it is checked to you, you can safely bet 3/4 of the pot --- it might look like a semibluff or a steal if you bet then. If it is bet into you on the turn, you can then raise it.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:00 PM

I would think of it this way:

How would a donk on a flush draw (over) play the hand? if you can represent that, you can get a lot of decent players to come along.

Two ideas for this:

-Option #1 Push the flop. With 2 clubs on the board many people interpret an overbet as a flush draw. Given this great read, they call an amazing amount.

-Option #2 Check the turn behind "oh no, you called my big flop raise and my flush missed. I'm taking a free card". If the river blanks push all in over a check. "my flush missed, but your check gives me hope for a bluff..." Again middling junk calls that sequence in my experience [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

It's a bit different, but instead of trying to induce a flush draw to make a bad bet calling, I find it is easier to induce a middling made hand to make a massive mistake calling a betting sequence that looks like a scared drawing hand.

Pokerscott
Old 12-02-2005, 06:04 PM

terrible...and that is why your response is different that everybody else's.

there are three big draws out there on that flop, both flush and two-openendeds (JT/87).

This is a flop you have to raise on.
Around 1/3 of the deck is a scare card, not a good spot to slowplay.