Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 05:39 PM

Default Re: People who have played football....

[ QUOTE ]
Notice that I said competitively, which would imply that said person learned very advanced strategy somewhere along the way. If this person is then unable to translate said strategies to other arenas, well then they aren't very intelligent, sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]
Most guys I played football with would fall into the category. They could play, but they wouldn't be able to figure out advanced strategies in football, let alone another sport.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:58 PM

Maybe I should clarify myself here because this thread is not going in the direction I was looking for. I'm not saying you have to play football to know football stratagies, thats stuff you can learn from watching football or listening to analysis. However I dont think you can fully understand the intangables of football without having played it. A good example would be how to pick up a fumble, of course if you know anything about football you would know its hard but not from first hand knowledge. I'm trying to say there are things you can only learn by playing and that you can't learn from 2nd hand knowledge. Another intangable would be how good it feels when you hit someone so hard you dont feel a thing, but they sure do, and its one of the best feelings in the world. Or even to truly understand how physical the game is, because the most physical part of the game is at practice, gameday is fun time and thats the only part most people see.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I should clarify myself here because this thread is not going in the direction I was looking for. I'm not saying you have to play football to know football stratagies, thats stuff you can learn from watching football or listening to analysis. However I dont think you can fully understand the intangables of football without having played it. A good example would be how to pick up a fumble, of course if you know anything about football you would know its hard but not from first hand knowledge. I'm trying to say there are things you can only learn by playing and that you can't learn from 2nd hand knowledge. Another intangable would be how good it feels when you hit someone so hard you dont feel a thing, but they sure do, and its one of the best feelings in the world. Or even to truly understand how physical the game is, because the most physical part of the game is at practice, gameday is fun time and thats the only part most people see.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with this, fully. When you think about it, it's pretty obvious. Regarding knowing what it's like to pick up a fumble, that's soon to be rendered moot, what with the grass roots campaign to abolish fumbles as turnovers. We wouldn't want offensive players to feel bad.

Oh, and regarding the feeling of hitting somebody hard and not feeling it. That's awesome! The best memory I have of playing -- the best feeling in the game. I liken it to hitting a baseball on the sweet spot.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It depends what aspect of the game you mean - the mechanics of say pass blocking or the overall strategy of the defense or offense. Just because someone understands the mechanics of play, doesn't mean he understands the big picture.(Reference: Baseball, Joe Morgan).

BTW, I said a fumble shouldn't be a turnover. Explain why someone would disagree based on his having played football.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you first suggested this, I figured it was just one of those dumb ideas that we all have from time to time. However, your insistance on continuing to argue about this demonstrats that either you have no sense of entertainment, or that you have no apreciation for football, ot that you really have no ability to think. You should conceed that this idea is dumb based on this and this .

If that doesn't convince you, you should consider that fumbles make football more exciting to watch (since anytime someone carried the ball, there might be a turnover). Also, the rule is fair because when a team fumbles, they have only themselves to blame.
The possibility of a fumble also gives an underdog a chance to win, which in turn makes the game more exciting.

By the way.

[ QUOTE ]
I feel retarded just replying to your suggestion.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-20-2005, 04:01 AM

The coach who taught Adam Vinatieri how to kick a football, has cerebral palsy. He is in a wheelchair. He has never kicked a football in his life.

But he loved football. He couldn't play, so he wanted to get into coaching. He saw that his only shot was to be smarter in some aspect of the game than anyone else. When he saw that kicking technique was relatively unexplored, he set out to become the world's foremost expert on the subject.

After he became known for his work with Vinatieri, he worked as a consultant to other kickers, and had short stints as a special teams coach with at least two NFL teams.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:51 AM

Calling....

sup, bro?
Old 09-20-2005, 11:13 AM

I missed the original, but why the hell wouldn't it be a turnover? If you think you have some reason's I'll gladly tell you why they are wrong.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:26 PM

i like how he helped with "special" teams
Old 09-21-2005, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Totally true. its the little things-- like knowing how hard it is to pick up a fumble in a game situation. Or like culpepper knowing what is like to thorw 5 picks in a game

[/ QUOTE ]

Sadly, I know the feeling. Oh god, what a horrible, horrible day. Thankfully I can't remember it... Thank you concussion-fairy!

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, I'm glad I clicked on this thread even though I'm not into football.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:56 PM

I think the great advantage in knowledge that an ex-competitve athlete (generally) has is the ability to know when he doesn't know. I've found that many of my friends who never played college or high school sports may be rabid fans of a sport, but are unwilling to acknowledge that alternate strategies may be correct, whereas I, as someone with college baseball in my past, realize that every situation is dependant on a multitude of factors that i may or may not be privy to. The seeming "by the book" play may not be correct in a given situation because of one of these factors (gf dumped him, he's hungover, he can't hit this particular pitcher even though the matchup looks good on paper, he's dogged it in practice all week and the coach is down on him, etc) and, having experienced these things irl to myself or to teammates, I can understand how this info can factor into a coach's decision, even though the general public doesn't know about it.

I can also see how these things can affect other sports. my standard answer to my friends who question a coaching decision in any sport is "maybe he got hurt running to the bus". they think I'm kidding, but it's happened (to me, of all people)