Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 10:03 PM

Default AQ SB Hand

Toughish one

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter

UTG+1 (t800)
UTG+2 (t800)
MP1 (t785)
MP2 (t755)
MP3 (t735)
CO (t440)
Button (t875)
Hero (t965)
BB (t690)
UTG (t1155)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls t15, MP2 calls t15, MP3 calls t15, CO calls t15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t87.50) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t60</font>, BB folds, MP1 calls t60, MP2 calls t60, MP3 folds, CO calls t60.

Turn: (t327.50) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t200</font>, MP1 calls t200, MP2 calls t200, CO folds.

River: (t927.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets t200</font>, MP2 folds, Hero calls t200.

Final Pot: t1327.50
Old 11-17-2005, 10:07 PM

Default Re: AQ SB Hand

Looks fine to me.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:17 PM

I'm a sucker for c/r'ing the flop - 6handed, with some broadway on board. But I think you played it fine.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:42 PM

I think your play is fine, but I'd probably check the turn. I think J9 is a reasonable possibility to have gotten there with this many callers in an unraised pot, but if it didn't I don't think the 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] gives you too much more to worry about. And I also can't see a ton of hands that are behind at this point continuing to call down, so I'd prefer to try and keep the pot small.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:48 AM

Well, my philosophy on the low-level Party SNG's is to just push all-in in these big pots when I might not be behind. I'm probably pushing the river and losing to the straight, but check-calling is probably much better as you'll induce some bluffs and lose less when you're behind.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:06 AM

Ok, when the action gets to you in the SB preflop, how sure are you that none of the limpers have AA, KK, QQ, or AK? 98%? 99%?

What should you do in poker if you are 98-99% sure that you have the best hand?

I'm sure that plenty of folks think completing here is fine, but it's not. It's funny how most people are content to invest 500 chips into a multi-way pot where you are a dog to have the best hand, but are reluctant to raise to 80 chips when you are virtually sure to have the best hand.

Irieguy
Old 11-18-2005, 05:28 AM

I was beginning to think I was crazy, I would raise here pf most of the time as well.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:31 AM

My problem with raising here, even raising a lot, is I will likely have multiple callers and likely miss the flop. Also, I would not say there is nearly that high a chance I have the best hand since I am behind all pairs, and players with pairs are not folding at this level in my (limited) experience. If I raise, there is a good chance they won't fold postflop, either, so I am left in a tough spot if I miss since a continuation is not very effective here, but if I hit I could easily stack someone with a middling pair (less chance if I hit the ace).

So basicly, if I am raising I am only raising to clean up my hand for those times I hit and to get people mentally committed to the pot. I do this some times but I think complete here for 5 is fine, too.

Post flop of course shows the danger of limping, in that AQo is a TPGK hand and those don't play well in multi-way pots, especially OOP.

Results:
Whoever mentioned J9 getting there on the turn, when the turn came I thought "J9 just owned me if that's out". And it was. I don't like c/ring the flop becasue I hate if it gets checked through and I hate more building a big pot with a one pair hand out of position, especially when 6 meople saw the flop. On the turn I did not want to give a free card and I did not want to build a big pot (being OOP sucks). The river was pretty straight forward I think.

Edit - thinking about it some more, I should probably be raising here pf 80-90% rather than the 50-60% I do, maybe even always. The 33's are new to me, but I think I may have a higher hourly rate at them then at the 55's. I'll have to see how things go over the next 1-2K STT's.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:35 AM

What would your opponents most hate you to do here preflop, after they have all limped hoping to hit a flop cheaply?

Therefore, what should you do?
Old 11-18-2005, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What would your opponents most hate you to do here preflop, after they have all limped hoping to hit a flop cheaply?

Therefore, what should you do?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is flawed logic. For one thing, my opponents generally don't know what is best for them, so doing something they don't like may help them.

To the specific hand, I think raising is better now because post flop play is so horrid here that I will be able to stack weaker aces and queens and middle pairs when I hit, and will probably get 2-4 opponents out. (Not sure on the last bit, I am still getting a feel for the 33's. I am utterly astounded at how much worse these palyers are than the ones in the 55's, who never really inspired me with awe to begin with.)