Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2004, 11:10 PM

Default Ridiculous Razz Play

I have to say I found Dutch Boyd's play tonight ridiculous and terrible the whole way. The worst of it came in the heads up match up against TJ Cloutier. He continuously called all the way down on hands where he was obviously beat. Two hands in a row in the heads up match TJ would have needed all 3 of his hole cards to be K, Q, J, or pair for him to win, and it would be quite obvious to anyone that they weren't. And of course afterwards you get the rail commentary from Scott Fischman about how lucky TJ got. Cmon for someone who actually enjoys the game of Razz I almost got sick watching this tournament tonight.

P.S. Yes I did say the unthinkable, I actually do enjoy Razz.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:13 PM

Default Re: Ridiculous Razz Play

Boyd played like crap but he at least was well behaved..unlike king dumbass on the rail.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Boyd played like crap but he at least was well behaved..unlike king dumbass on the rail.

[/ QUOTE ]

This I'll agree with. He did come across quite well and well behaved, especially considering the frustration that can go along with Razz. This is one thing I've always known about Boyd. Despite his bad reputation because of the PokerSpot dealings, he is a very well mannered and polite poker player.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This I'll agree with. He did come across quite well and well behaved, especially considering the frustration that can go along with Razz. This is one thing I've always known about Boyd. Despite his bad reputation because of the PokerSpot dealings, he is a very well mannered and polite poker player.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, that makes it OK to steal people's money?
Old 08-04-2004, 12:52 AM

pokerspot dealings? What happened?
Old 08-04-2004, 12:58 AM

Man, this was a fun one to watch. I've never seen pros quite this frustrated before. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Rob
Old 08-04-2004, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm did I at any point in my post say that? NO. Read before you attack genius.
Old 08-04-2004, 03:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? Where on earth did he say this? He said DESPITE the money stealing, he is a very classy player at the table. He never said that made it ok or anything. Calm down.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:39 AM

Default Is THAT how razz is played?

I was in shock at what I saw, but not just at Dutch's crappy play. Did you see the number of times TJ took a weak hand (usually with hidden bricks) and play them against strong boards against Howard? Howard must have felt he was cursed or something on the TV hands.
TJ made some strange raises into low boards- maybe he had a strong read that the low cards Howard was catching were bricking him out of the hand.

I really didn't understand TJ's play at all- was this a function of tournament final table play? It surely helped TJ get paid off multiple times at the end. TJ played as if he KNEW bricks were coming for his opponents.
I'm sure it is a function of editing, but TJ sure seemed to come from behind a lot at the beginning of the show.... or is that razz?

Maybe that's why Dutch played so badly later- he saw TJ play some hands that I didn't understand why he was playing and then drew out to beat better draws with his high-card low hands. It was obvious that Dutch had given up when he played the 9Q9 hand- what, he's going to bluff TJ off of a pot?

For as many hands as I'm sure we missed, who knows what the player images really were?

I've only played stud/8, never razz but I know I wouldn't play the way that I saw on television. Would I be wrong for tournaments? I'm "sure" I'm not wrong for cash games.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Man, this was a fun one to watch. I've never seen pros quite this frustrated before. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

I loved the quotes, especially from TJ and Howard. "I hate this game more than any damn game in the world." "After playing razz all day, you really want to go out and beat someone up."