Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 11:35 AM

Default 7/8b hand 1

I have a bunch of hands from my last session, here's the first.

Do you take your foot off the gas on sixth or keep jamming?

7 Card Stud High-Low ($10/$20), Ante $1, Bring-In $3 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 3: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (1.90 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (2.45 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (4.45 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero ?
Old 11-09-2005, 12:21 PM

Default Re: 7/8b hand 1

depends on the read of seat 2, but given you're likely only getting half the pot I tend to take my foot off the gas.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:23 PM

I definitely check 6th. I don't think there's any value in betting here versus someone who's obviously going low and very likely made it. Even if you make a low hand, you're almost certainly beat and he could also have a baby straight. I check-call it down from here unless I fill up.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:05 PM

I think a good case can be made for completing on third even with a dead ace and one dead spade you still have a nice hand. On sixth I bet because you are holding almost all of villian's straight cards so the about the only way he can have you beat for high is with trips and you have lots of outs to beat that. You want to charge him if he hit two small pair imo.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think a good case can be made for completing on third even with a dead ace and one dead spade you still have a nice hand. On sixth I bet because you are holding almost all of villian's straight cards so the about the only way he can have you beat for high is with trips and you have lots of outs to beat that. You want to charge him if he hit two small pair imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Had you raised 3rd, you would also be in a better position to evaluate the strength of villain's hand.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:45 AM

You've played fine to this point. I would probably raise on third, but I like raising. On sixth, you can only check and call. The other guy is not folding. You probably have the best high hand, but it is unlikely that your low will be good even if you make it. While you are sitting on a lot of the other guy's straight cards, it is somewhat likely that he is free-rolling on you. You've got a decent hand there, but there's little if any value in betting.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:24 AM

Default Results

I check called and the river went check check IIRC. I may have scouped here against a smaller two pair, not sure.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:34 PM

As aggressive as you are, I'm surprised that you advocate check-calling. I'd bet this situation on the off chance that our villian is going high.

I think everyone can agree that a vast majority of the time, this is a split...so betting doesn't gain or lose anything.

The tougher part is deciding the scoop possibilities. If the villian has trips or two pair, then you know he doesn't have a low. If he has a made low, then his high draws aren't too scary (gutshot straight, non-nut flush). Meanwhile, our hero is drawing to a boat, an ace-high flush, and a rough low.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:27 PM

I like the raise on 3rd, too. As for 6th, I agree with what EH923 & Mscags have to say, so the bet seems right to me. Also remember that op was originally the bring-in, so he may be a little weak in the hole & just sucking along because he has received some good up cards. I'm going to bet 6th & the river whether I improve or not.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:31 PM

I also like a bet on sixth street. A six is dead and you are killing the aces and fives, so villain may have a high card + pair, or worse two pair. I like a bet here, but I'm very aggressive after third street. Check-calling can't be wrong either if you prefer to play it safer - I just like putting the pressure on my opponents to see where I am at.