Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2005, 02:58 PM

Default HU Question #2

You're playing someone HU in a SBB game and the opponent isn't totally clueless. Should you be checking the flop some pct of the time when he raises PF and you 3-bet in the BB? What effect do you think this can have on your opponent? Is it worthwhile to pursue? How does this change the game if you're doing it about 50% of the time you 3 bet from the BB?
Old 10-29-2005, 02:58 PM

Default Re: HU Question

I'v never seen the term "SBB game" before. Is it "small blind on the button"?
Old 10-29-2005, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'v never seen the term "SBB game" before. Is it "small blind on the button"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. I stated it since not everyone knows in HU matches this is the normal way (esp those who have only played HU on Party and are relatively new to poker).
Old 10-29-2005, 04:43 PM

I don't think it's a good idea. Any extra information you give is bad. As long as your opponent doesn't think you're a retard, he will realize what you are doing. It might confuse him a little, but ultimately, it won't give you an advantage.
Old 10-29-2005, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I am always afraid to use the button that bets if checked to because if while I'm clicking it someone else bets it turns into the raise button and I accidentally raise! Do you have any advice on how to avoid this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Play on Stars where they cleverly designed this button to be located just above the raise button, so this situation never happens. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Party's software team foresaw this and figured it was ok with them if you raised more often so you could misclick somebody a mercedes in extra rake.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-29-2005, 06:56 PM

Seems like it would put your opponent completely off balance.
Old 10-29-2005, 07:08 PM

It would seem to me that the more clueless your opponent is, the less effective this would be.
Old 10-29-2005, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It would seem to me that the more clueless your opponent is, the less effective this would be.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think its exactly the opposite. clueless opponents might not know how to change their frequencies of flop bets when you open fold sometimes. they might see you open fold 1 out of 15 hands and have that effect the way they value your flop checks more so than appropriate.

if you openfold 1 out of 15 times when you could check, the bad player might add more credibility to the value of your checks when a good player would realize openfolding 1 out of 15 times effects the value or your checks very little.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think its exactly the opposite. clueless opponents might not know how to change their frequencies of flop bets when you open fold sometimes. they might see you open fold 1 out of 15 hands and have that effect the way they value your flop checks more so than appropriate.

if you openfold 1 out of 15 times when you could check, the bad player might add more credibility to the value of your checks when a good player would realize openfolding 1 out of 15 times effects the value or your checks very little.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this falls into the class of plays that doesn't work on retards or solid thinking players, but works well on the medicore thinking players who will overadjust...they talk about a play or two like that in (maybe) SSH, I think.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any other suggestions?[\quote]

What I do is hold the mouse down for half a second or so before I let go. This way if it changes right before you click, you have time to move it away. Also, if it changes after the mouse button is held down, and you let go, it doesn't count as a click on the raise button.