Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2005, 02:58 AM

Default Push with straight draw

UB $50, 14 players left, blinds 400/800/100. I have about average stack of T12K. Button open miniraises, SB calls, I call in BB with T8s. 5800 in pot.

Flop is J92r. SB bets 1600. I push with semibluff on straight draw. Was this bad given my draw isn't that strong?
Old 07-24-2005, 03:02 AM

Default Re: Push with straight draw

What were the other stacks involved? I'm not sure you had much fold equity in this situation, and at least half of the strength of your play here is your FE. I don't think you want to have to count on hitting your hand, esp. since you have no overs to top pair.

FOITNOF,

-D.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:04 AM

I dont think the quality of your draw is too big of a factor
here. If you are called, it most likely wont be by QT, so your outs should be clean.

It really comes down to how much FE you have here
Old 07-24-2005, 03:26 AM

The SB had about the same as I did and the button had about T20K. I had 10K left and there was 6K in the pot before the flop, so I am getting 8-5 or putting up 39% of the money. I have a 31% chance against top pair.

I kind of made the move automatically, maybe not realizing how weak my draw was. However, it seems like if I have any reasonable folding equity the push is EV+. I could also have called the small bet and tried to make my straight if the button doesn't raise.

The button called and the SB, who I slightly covered, also called. The button had miniraised with AA and the SB had QJ.

The SB played the hand very strangely. The only decent draw was the T8 I had, so with 2 players allin atleast one of them must have QJ beat.

The 1/4 pot bet from the SB made me think I might be able to take the pot with a push. If he made a decent sized bet, I probably would have to fold the straight draw. I don't know why he didn't bet more, since he wasn't trapping and wasn't going to fold. I guess he was hoping the preflop raiser would some over the top with nothing.

I wound up getting knocked out. The second table payed $83. If I had folded I probably could have picked up a few hundred. That probably effected my thinking, but there is really some advantage in gambling. If I won the hand, I would have had a good shot at the top places, and even taking it down would have improved my chances.

Actually, against 2 players, it was very EV+ for me, with all the dead money in the pot and still close to 1/3 chance to win the hand.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:43 AM

Actually, I have about a 37% chance against top pair or an overpair. It is 32% against QJ because the Q takes away some of my straight outs.

Since I was putting up 39% of the money with pot odds,
the push was probably correct. I could be in worse shape against a set or QT. However, a push has to have some FE, so I think I was getting the right odds.

The draw is weak in that I don't have overs or a pair or something. My straight outs are likely good. If someone did have QT, they might not be able to call the push anyway.