Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2005, 05:14 AM

Default Tournament problem after first hour

I play lot of NL rebuy tournament, with stakes between $10 and $100.

I know how to gamble in first hour and normally i have something like t10k in first break.

After that problems begin, i know how to steal blinds but just for some reason cant increase my stack, usually the whole 2nd hour my stack belongs in same t10k.
And in 3rd problems get even bigger because blinds get too big and im forced to gamble with some less premium hand.

So what should i do otherwise in 2nd hour, i steal in every possbile situation, but avoid big conflicts without AA,KK,QQ or AK should i just start gamble more?
Old 02-05-2005, 05:35 AM

Default Re: Tournament problem after first hour

Poker is such a situational game that it's very hard to answer such generalized questions.

Because of this you should post a 2nd hour history or ask if anyone would like to read it and give you feedback. I did this once with a whole tournament and got a lot of good criticism.
Old 02-05-2005, 05:49 AM

Thats a good idea.. unfortunatly I think its impossible to get tourney hand histories in ladbrokes and prima. And I dont play in any other sites.
Old 02-05-2005, 05:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I play lot of NL rebuy tournament, with stakes between $10 and $100.

I know how to gamble in first hour and normally i have something like t10k in first break.

After that problems begin, i know how to steal blinds but just for some reason cant increase my stack, usually the whole 2nd hour my stack belongs in same t10k.
And in 3rd problems get even bigger because blinds get too big and im forced to gamble with some less premium hand.

So what should i do otherwise in 2nd hour, i steal in every possbile situation, but avoid big conflicts without AA,KK,QQ or AK should i just start gamble more?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm having a problem answering this question because wht you are saying does not match my personal experiences. You say you "normally" have t10,000 at the first break. I would estimate I have t10,000+ after the first break 1% of the time. There just aren't that many AA-JJ, AK and AQ to go around. The only way I can see you getting to 10K in an hour (without getting an abnormally great run of cards) is that you have VERY loose starting requirements and are getting great flops. By what you are saying, my guess is that in the 2nd hour people with less than premium hands start playing back at you because you are stealing so much. That's the only explanation I can see for the given scenario.
Old 02-05-2005, 06:21 AM

Thats exactly the case. First of all i take the addon at the moment i sit down so i actually start with t3000 instead of 1500.
And i play all kind of suited cards with small str8 potential, like 73s or 85s in unraised pots or even with small raise in multiway pots.
Old 02-05-2005, 06:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thats exactly the case. First of all i take the addon at the moment i sit down so i actually start with t3000 instead of 1500.
And i play all kind of suited cards with small str8 potential, like 73s or 85s in unraised pots or even with small raise in multiway pots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then my guess is, this explains why your stack hovers/begins fading in the 2nd hour. People are being more aggressive. Pots are now worth winning immediately. Now when your 73s misses your opponents are being more aggressive and making it incorrect for you to draw with that 4 flush.
Old 02-05-2005, 06:42 AM

No thats not reason, since i dont play those hands after first hour. Even all my stealing hands have some value, and i play everytime pot by raising not limpinr or callig.. still searching for the answer [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-05-2005, 07:10 AM

So you raise every hand. What happens when you're re-raised. Do you call with less than premium hands? I think JaBlue is right. You probably won't find your answer to this unless you post some hands for review.
Old 02-05-2005, 08:48 AM

......righr off the top of my head.........

Are you bleeding off chips because you're calling/playing too many hands?

Are you getting chipped-off because you've rocked up?

Over how many tournaments/what time period are we talking?

..........these are a few questions you should be asking yourself. I'm sure there are more.