Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2005, 12:35 AM

Default Value Betting Guidelines

Hi,

I am confused on when to value bet. I play 50nl 6max, agianst loose passive opponents. It "seems" that everytime I try to value bet they have just called me down with a better hand that they choose not to bet or check raise me with a monster. Or when I dont value bet and just check on a dangerous board I get shown a lower kicker. This is extremely frustrating. What are some guideline to value bet in NL, can anyone point me to a thread? Also, what fraction of the pot is a good amount to value bet on the last card? For whatever it is worth I used to play limit holdem and value bet relentlessly but things are different in NL when I can get check raised for my entire stack, since I am usually the aggressor.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:00 AM

Default Re: Value Betting Guidelines

Whenever you think you have the best hand.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

as simple as this sounds this is the only guideline to VBing. if your always betting the river u need to examine your play. in limit u bet a lot more hands freely but in no limit u must examine if u actually get "value" out of a bet, or if u just get called by better hands.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:13 AM

When you say "think you have the best hand" this is exactly what I am asking. What is the thought process used in determining if you have a hand to value bet?
Old 08-06-2005, 02:37 AM

This is a tricksome matter. The only "advantage", I guess, to the loose-passive / passive-aggressive / call down with top pair & call down with anything better, then check-raise the river bullshit you see time & again is that, well, their hand range is practically any two. Like so many NL matters it's highly opponent-dependent and based largely on feel and texture. Tighter players calling reasonable bets are more likely to have a better made hand than yours, particularly if you're value-betting a single pair, but are less likely to be helped on the turn & river by draw-completing cards. For looser players, the opposite is true. A check-raise or big lead bet from an especially tight or passive player is a free pass to run for the hills without the nuts or near-nuts. Study your man and make judicious use of PT and GameTime+ or suchlike. This may be old news, but I hardly know what else to tell you.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Isn't it more correct to say that you value bet whenever you think you have the best hand provided there are worse hands that will call a bet?

You should not bet on the end, even if you think you are likely ahead, if only better hands will call.