Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2005, 09:22 PM

Default 5/10 QQ UB Hand.

Very good 5/10 game, only 6 players right now including myself.

I have Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in SB and have about $1000.

UTG limps, all fold to Button (villain) who limps, I make it $50. BB folds, UTG folds, Button calls.

Stats on Button:

Hands: 80
VPIP: 88
PFR: 24
WSD: 20
W$SD: 24
Stack size: $650

Button is a fairly loose pre-flop player calling a lot of raises, but a is a good post flop player. He's taking some nasty beats for a couple of rounds and dropped like $1.5k after being up to 2.5k at one point.

Myself, I have a slightly semi-tight aggressive pre-flop image as well. After about 80 hands in I checked my VPIP for about 27, PFR 6.

Pot size: $120

Flop is J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check, button bets $50. I call.

Pot size: $240

Turn is a 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I check, button bets $100. I check-raise for $300.

Button calls.

Pot is $840

River is a T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Button has $250 left, I have $600.

What do you do on this river card? Check? Bet? or <gack> check/fold to all-in?

I bet $300, button called.

Results and train of thought to come..

Thanks

Lawrence
Old 03-15-2005, 10:24 PM

Default Re: 5/10 QQ UB Hand.

If you raised before the flop why not lead out after the flop. say for 120. giving free cards is courting disaster. lets say an ace or king fell on the turn now what do you do. trappers sometimes trap themselves. the way you played the hand you have no imformation on what your opponent has.
better to win a small pot than blow a big pot. I think you probably won the pot or you wouldn't have made the post. If you lost it I be kicking myself in the ass the way you played it.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:29 PM

Lead this flop for 70$.

I hate the flop check-call. What will you do if the turn is an A, K, or J?

I don't like the slowplay at all. Your hand is very vulnerable. The play would be much better if you had AA.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:33 PM

if you have a strong hand but are vulnerable to overcards, sometimes its better to put a small amount of money in on the flop to get a good turn and then charge more when youre far ahead...a Sklanksy limit concept but it may apply here
Old 03-15-2005, 11:47 PM

I mean...its not like he isnt going to call here...you cant fold to a push getting five to one...just call, the pot has become too big...at least I think so....then again I am a much better limit player. :P
Old 03-16-2005, 03:08 AM

Very well played. If villian has something like Aj ur going to get all of his money with QQ. He may even put you on something like Ak when you raise out of the blind and then check the flop. Hope he didn't flop a set on you. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-16-2005, 04:00 AM

i like the slowplay much better w AA or KK. too many bad cards can fall w queens.

and if you want to get fancy. i think 'a bet the flop, CR the turn' is much better to get $$ out of him.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:08 AM

I believe this concept applies when you cannot protect your hand on the flop because of the pot size and, well, in limit you can only put out a small bet on the flop. You wait for a safe turn and charge a big bet, which with the pot size, makes it incorrect for people to call with certain hands whereas they would be correct to call if you bet the flop, inflated the pot, and bet the turn again.

Its possible that what you're talking about is different and applies to NL. I think you should give a specific example of this play in action.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:40 PM

Default Results and Train of Thought

Alright, so we have a situation where I'm in the SB with black Queens out of position against a LAG who seems to know what he is doing post-flop even though he is very loose pre- flop.

He has position on me which is a heavy advantage for him.

The reason I check-call this flop is because I know my opponent will do 2 things:

1. Either raise me if has overpair beat when I bet.
2. Fold if I bet a 3/4 to pot size bet if he has nothing.

I don't put him on JJ as he would raise pre-flop, so really the only hand I fear is 22, 44 and lord forbid 2-4 if he plays that loose.

His flop bet is one that tells me that either he most likely has a decent hand/but not a strong one, testing out to see what I do. When I call the flop bet, I want my opponent to think I have TT or 99 or some other pocket pair lower that JJ to think that I'm afraid of a pair of jacks in his hand, but am going to keep him honest.

There is something to be said for c/r the flop right here and now, but if my opponent comes over the top of me right now it's a tough decision for me then and I proabably will be forced to fold QQ given I am out of position, and know my opponent to be a solid post flop player who is not fearing QQ - AA.

The turn card is a pretty good card. I decide to follow through with my plan and check, fooling my opponent to think I have a smaller pocket pair than JJ.

Now the interesting thing on the turn is he only bets 1/3 of the pot which imo is a really gay bet. The only way I bet 1/3 of the pot on a turn card like this is if I got da pure nuts which is 22 or JJ (and like i said I didn't put him on JJ), and 22 is very unlikely since he only bet 1/2 the pot on the flop which does not coincide with representing a set provided he is a solid player.

So I am very confident that he has J-x kicker.

So I c/r the turn for 3x his bet which in restrospect just a tad to small, i should have made it 4x to really crap his odds of hitting a boat, or his his kicker (if it's k or A), or back door flush if he was chasing that.

He called the turn c/r which by now I knew he didn't have a set and he knew I definitely had an overpair to the board.

Now the somewhat tricky part, the river comes a 3rd spade which gives him a backdoor flush if he was playing J-x spades.

Now, if I'm fearing that he has J-x spades, then why do I bet the river? What's the point? Why not try to induce a bluff or let him bet instead?

Here's my thinking on the river: If he has J-x (not spades), he's gonna check. If he has J-x spades, he'll very likely push his remaining chips.

There's no question that I'm calling. Even if I check, he goes all-in I'm getting 5-1 to call so I have to be like really sure he doesn't have the spades (or boat if my read is completely off). So folding is out of the question.

Now, do I check or do I bet? This is the part I probably still have trouble with, because I'm leaning more towards him having J-x spades at this point, but fearing that if he doesn't have J-x spades and only J-x then I'm going make $250 less. So this is where it becomes a bit tricky and difficult for me and of course with the the limited time online I just didn't know what the better deicision was.

So I just decided to bet. He called, showed J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and won.

Lawrence
Old 03-17-2005, 12:51 PM

Default Re: Results and Train of Thought

Since you know you would call an all-in from him anyway, I think betting the river was the right decision.