Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2005, 02:33 PM

Default Early WSoP tactics for Dead Money

I have a seat in the Main Event this year thanks to the generosity of EmpirePoker. However, i'm severely out of practice since i can't look at a computer screen long enough to play a Sit & Go, let alone a multi-table tourney. Even when in practice, the strategy i used to win the 248-player tourney to win a seat on EmpirePoker isn't tenable against players that know what they're doing. Early in the tourney, i played very tight. I made a lot of Limit-style bets when i did play, in part because i was comparatively more familiar with Limit, but also because i had such monster hands that i was afraid i wouldn't get any customers, otherwise. After getting called down or bluffed back at with these monsters early, i later was able to steal blinds and pots with small bets...my opponents being afraid what could lurk behind such small bets. If i was played back at, i could release my hand without having risked much. Needless to say, being able to successfully bluff with small bets an awesome position to be in, but that simply won't work among the non-clueless.

Thus, i need strategy advice for the WSoP. I've read and reviewed Mr. Sklansky's TPfAP and intend on reading Harrington on Hold'em. I still plan on being mostly quite tight, especially early. Along those lines, i know not to risk my stack to on small advantages.

However, if i have a big-time professional at my starting table, i'll know that he similarly doesn't want to risk his tourney early on coin-flips...especially with all this Dead Money out there. I think i should exploit this fact, given the opportunity. If heads-up against one of these pros, i think it'd be a good idea for me to raise All-in when it appears to be a toss-up, realizing that should muck.

Of course, it can be hard to determine when, exactly, it is a toss-up and that i know the Big Time Pro realizes this as well. Though, let's say on the first hand of the WSoP i have K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] out of one of the blinds, BTP limps from early position, and the flop comes J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I check-raise BTP and he re-raises to around t1500. At this point, i figure that there's no way i'm going to out-play a professional on the Turn and River while out of position on my ginormous draw and that, no matter what he has, he can't feel very secure about his hand, whether it be a set, two-pair, OESD, nut-flush draw, or whatever. Thus, i should just go All-in, since he really shouldn't call. In fact, i'd almost want to expose my hand (if legal(?)), to show him that even if he has a set, he's no more than a 57% or 58% favorite (i think) and that he should muck(?). Well, at least Phil Helmuth would muck...and then brag about this great laydown for the rest of his life.

The theory behind exposing being that i don't want a coin-flip either, but want to encourage him to fold a slight favorite. I wouldn't usually lose any equity, since there's no way a pro would call an All-in bet here without a set. However, there's a slight possibility that he'd call All-in with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]X[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (especially 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]), when he would have folded otherwise, but that seems rather remote.

I realize that i couldn't try this gambit too often, because i'll run into a situation where i think it's a coin-flip and it turns out i'm a huge dog. However, i'm curious of the general opinion of such a play for pseudo-Dead Money vs. a solid professional?

----

My other question is how does table break-ups work at the WSoP Main Event? How much in advance would i know that my table's being broken up, if at all? Also, do tables get adjusted at every opportunity to eliminate a table or do they do several at once?

I assume everyone's reshuffled before Day 2, but i also assume that i may be at the same table throughout Day 1?
Old 06-24-2005, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Early WSoP tactics for Dead Money

To get through 6600 players, you won't be able to avoid close gambles. A lot will depend on your starting table and the relative skill of your opposition.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, if i have a big-time professional at my starting table, i'll know that he similarly doesn't want to risk his tourney early on coin-flips...especially with all this Dead Money out there.

[/ QUOTE ]
In general I think that's correct, although be careful -- there are a few "big time professionals" who will be looking to gamble on day 1, in order to either build a huge stack or bust out.

It's against the rules to expose your cards during the play of a hand.

In the example you posed, your reraise is not going to make anyone fold JJ on a flop of J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. If you are certain your opponent has a set, then just call with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (and fold on the turn if you miss and your opponent makes a sizable bet). But you could try the reraise all-in play with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] against a BTP on a flop of J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

[ QUOTE ]
My other question is how does table break-ups work at the WSoP Main Event? How much in advance would i know that my table's being broken up, if at all? Also, do tables get adjusted at every opportunity to eliminate a table or do they do several at once?

[/ QUOTE ]
In theory they break one table at a time. They'll probably start at one end of the room and proceed sequentially, so if you pay attention you can get a good idea whether your table will break soon.

It's possible you'll be at the same table throughout day 1.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:04 AM

If Phil Helmuth is at your table, push with any two everytime it's big blind. If nothing else, it will be entertaining.
Old 06-26-2005, 07:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If Phil Helmuth is at your table, push with any two everytime it's big blind. If nothing else, it will be entertaining.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:37 AM

I'm in roughly the same situation, luvrhino. I won a qualifier online and don't have any live experience against top players.

For people like us, I think the best bet is to push on a tossup or two early and try to either force them out of a good pot, or worst case, have a 50/50 shot of doubling up.

We should also be playing aggressively before the flop, since that negates some of the skill involved. It's not pretty, but I'm not worried about asthetics if it helps me survive.

It is pretty funny to know I am dead money...
Old 06-27-2005, 08:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thus, i need strategy advice for the WSoP. I've read and reviewed Mr. Sklansky's TPfAP and intend on reading Harrington on Hold'em. I still plan on being mostly quite tight, especially early. Along those lines, i know not to risk my stack to on small advantages.

[/ QUOTE ]

You linked these just in case people here were unfamiliar with them? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-27-2005, 09:21 AM

Are you familiar with the move in or fold system in TPFAP? Seems like you might be a candidate to give it a try.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:05 AM

Default It\'s not like i\'ve never played before

I'm not that bad where i'd be better off doing the all-in or fold system. I'm profitable in $55 NL Sit & Go's (though i prefer Limit) and i've read a fair amount. In fact, i'm fairly sure that i'd be above the median point among all WSoP Main Event entrants. However, i've had little experience with multi-table NL tourneys and live poker, so i'm skeptical about my post-flop play against a Big Time Professional, especially out of position.

I was just curious how feasible it'd be to exploit an intelligent BTP's tendency to avoid close decisions for their whole stack early...especially since with patience they'd figure they'd be able to later outplay all the Dead Money when it's not close.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:15 AM

Default Re: It\'s not like i\'ve never played before

[ QUOTE ]
i'm skeptical about my post-flop play against a Big Time Professional, especially out of position.

[/ QUOTE ]

So avoid post-flop play out of position with a pro then. If you have the cards, then get in there raising big to take it down, or fold and wait for a better spot.