Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2005, 05:46 PM

Default acting fishy

This could go in the B&M forum but oh well I'm bored at work, looking at this forum and have a thought. It is well known that representing yourself as a well trained poker player tends to kill action at small stake tables. I agree with this even though this may be changing as lots of WPT wannabees seem to like the idea of "beating the pro". On the other hand what about acting like a very poor player? I have thought of doing it many times but haven't gotten the whole act down.
I am talking about more than just asking if a flush beats a full house or if three pair beats two pair, I mean representing yourself as a confused nit. Even worse than the maniac idea, because maniacs at least plan on playing. One of those players that sits down at a table with a confused look on their faces and everyone around them starts drooling.
This is obviously not an angle shoot or anything illegal. It is deceptive, but thats poker. My biggest thought would be keeping the act going. How long could you keep people believing your fishyness while you play good poker?
Old 06-03-2005, 05:50 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: acting fishy

[ QUOTE ]
It is well known that representing yourself as a well trained poker player tends to kill action at small stake tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're having problems getting action in small stakes games, it's likely because you're playing too tight. I play pretty tight and generally have no problem getting action.

b
Old 06-03-2005, 05:54 PM

I'm not talking about specifically getting action, more so scaring the fish out of the game or away from you and ending up only playing the stronger players. Similar to the idea of tapping the glass.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:05 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not talking about specifically getting action, more so scaring the fish out of the game or away from you and ending up only playing the stronger players. Similar to the idea of tapping the glass.

[/ QUOTE ]

I stand by my original response. This type of problem isn't even worth worrying about in small stakes.

b
Old 06-04-2005, 12:12 AM

I don't think fish care one way or another how clueless you are. Half of them probably dont even realize that bad players at the table = more money for them. True fish don't think outside of their own cards (other than those times when they're thinking "I better not raise with my A high flush on this unpaired board cause if my only opponent who raised PF has 86s then he has a straight flush"). The only thing this act might do is get more action out of moderately skilled players. But even for that to be really effective you'll have to occasionally make some really bad plays, which is probably not worth the cost. So overall I think the act is a waste of time.

The only really effective act I think is being friendly with everyone at the table when all you want to do is take every last chip in front of them. If you can't pull that off (I know I can't, I'm not a friendly person by nature) the intimidating professional act can be worth something as well. A lot of small stakes B&M players aren't there to make money, they just like the feeling of winning a pot, and if they can win one off of the intimidating pro that's even better. Even if they did realize they were taking the worst of it almost every time they got involved in a hand (a lot of them dont) a lot of them would stay in anyways chasing long shot draws just to win the pot.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"I better not raise with my A high flush on this unpaired board cause if my only opponent who raised PF has 86s then he has a straight flush").

[/ QUOTE ]
As the true fish would say: My A high flush? Isn't a flush a flush? Unpaired board? So what, then i'd have a pair to go with my flush. Raised PF? What could that possibly mean? 86s? That would give him a straight, and i have a flush. I don't care.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:23 AM

I don't think you need to go to that extreme to make yourself look bad. At tight tables its good enough to give the impression of recklessness and bad play without costing yourself a dime. Showdown longshot draws that you had good odds on when they don't hit. Don't call the small bet into an average pot when you are sure your beat. You'll look weak and crazy and you'll get all the action you need when you catch a hand.