Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2003, 01:49 PM

Default Yet another 2+2 hand.

Since everyone's posting his AJs 2+2 hands --

The game was 15-30, of course. Some ridiculous hour of the morning. Six, maybe seven-handed.

I raised UTG with pocket 6s. Loose, pretty bad playing button cold called. Tommy called from the SB (second time I saw Tommy call anything from a blind).

Flop: K [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]

Tommy checked. I bet. Button called. Tommy called.

Turn: [K [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] ] 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]

Checked around.

River: [K [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] ] 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]

Tommy bet. I folded. Button turned over pocket 2s, thought a long time, and mucked. Was this an easy laydown for me?

I figured Tommy for AK, possibly KQs. Or maybe I'm giving too much credit. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

By the way Tommy, I forgot to pick up a cap on my way out...
Old 06-12-2003, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Yet another 2+2 hand.

I would have bet the turn... I don't think Tommy had a King.
Old 06-12-2003, 02:36 PM

hi jen
good fold.
Old 06-12-2003, 03:35 PM

Default Jen, was this a variance play?

You don't normally play 66 UTG do you?
Old 06-12-2003, 04:21 PM

Default Re: Jen, was this a variance play?

Depends on the game. The table was short and fairly tight. With six players, including tight-playing Ulysses on my left and Tommy in the blind (who was folding all of his blind hands which I thought was hilarious -- plays like he posts), pocket sixes seemed like a great raising hand.
Old 06-12-2003, 04:24 PM

Six handed, yeah I raise UTG also. All I really want is the blinds tho. Didn't work out that way, so...
Bet the flop. The others were just reacting to my bet. Does Tommy have a better hand, maybe, but not likely, the flop usually misses us (a law of nature, so it probably missed Tommy. I HATE to give free cards, therefore I bet the turn. If I get check raised I would most likely lay it down, but I suspect in this situation you would win it right there. If called and bet into on the river, I call, otherwise just show it down. Remember this scenerio began with YOUR UTG raise. You are supposed to have a decent hand. I don't know Tommy except from this forum. I just can't believe he would be that tight and predictable that you had an easy fold. AND if he did have say AQ, well you just gave him the pot on the turn. IMHO
Old 06-12-2003, 05:52 PM

66 is a fine raising hand up front in a shorthanded game, but if you're gonna lay it down on a board of [K 7 7 ] 4 Q , then I think you might want to reconsider playing it. This is doubly true with an aggressive player on your left who will 3 bet you with a wide range of hands and who plays well after the flop. This is triply true when a loose player is on the button and will call you anyway, thereby decreasing your odds of stealing the blinds. Discretion is the better part of valor.
Old 06-12-2003, 05:56 PM

You have to bet the turn. If you aren't going to bet the turn, you have to call the river.

What was your reasoning on the turn? You have a made hand, the field is drawing against you (who knows what they have)... make them have to make a decision.

This is just my opinion, but I'm Just Another Sucker.
Old 06-12-2003, 06:34 PM

By the turn, I thought that both players had high cards or a pocket pair bigger than mine (even though he's loose, there's no way I would've guessed Button had pocket 2s). There were no draws on the flop, so I figured that there was a good chance that I was beaten when both players called the flop.

By the river, I had a hard time putting Tommy on a hand that I could beat -- plus, there was a player left to act (and when I folded, I actually thought Button was going to call T. down -- he did think for a very long time before mucking). Had a high card not come down on the river or had we been heads up, I would have called or bet the turn.

And, I still think that Tommy had a K in this hand, but I could be wrong.
Old 06-12-2003, 06:44 PM

Button was a loose player, but certainly not an any two cards player. And Ulysses, though he may look fierce, is actually a softie. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]