Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2005, 03:45 PM

Default Pros in high limit games on Full Tilt

Hello,

I was wondering what you guys think about pros playing in the big games on Full Tilt (100/200, 25/50NL). IMO they are generally hurting the game.

People playing 100/200 mostly aren't doing it to get the thrill of playing against really good players. They are there to make money. Now if a good limit playing pro sits down (like d'agostino, ivey etc), this would not benefit that perspective. I've seen it often enough that a 100/200 was going between two 'unknowns', then a well playing pro sits down, and the game dies within minutes. So, the pro, who should be benefitting Full Tilt is actually hurting them.

I fully understand the benefit of pros in the lower limit games. It's for a lot of people exciting to play against players who you've seen on TV. In the high limit games it just doesn't work that way, and often enough the players playing these limits have already played against many pros anyways.

So what do you guys think?
Old 04-06-2005, 05:10 PM

Default Re: Pros in high limit games on Full Tilt

I've always maintained it was a bad idea at ALL limits. I agree it's even worse at the high limits. I know, I know, pros play all the time under aliases. I just think it's a bad idea for an owner/pro to play on their own site. Personally, I refuse to play there because of that.

Cheers
Magi
Old 04-06-2005, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just think it's a bad idea for an owner/pro to play on their own site. Personally, I refuse to play there because of that.

Magi

[/ QUOTE ]

this is so stupid. if you think the pros play there for the money they make during a session you are crazy. and if you thi k the site would risk their whole enterprise to win their pros a few extra bucks you are crazy. the pros have a contract and play to attract players
Old 04-06-2005, 05:52 PM

if i was playing for fun, i'd lov ethe opporuntiy to play 5/10 with phil ivey and try and win a pot against him.

but if i was a pro playing 100/200, i'd be an idiot to want to have ivey on my left.

stealthcow-
Old 04-06-2005, 06:23 PM

I'm pretty sure all the pros donate their winnings to charity.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was wondering what you guys think about pros playing in the big games on Full Tilt (100/200, 25/50NL). IMO they are generally hurting the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so.

[ QUOTE ]
People playing 100/200 mostly aren't doing it to get the thrill of playing against really good players. They are there to make money. Now if a good limit playing pro sits down (like d'agostino, ivey etc), this would not benefit that perspective. I've seen it often enough that a 100/200 was going between two 'unknowns', then a well playing pro sits down, and the game dies within minutes. So, the pro, who should be benefitting Full Tilt is actually hurting them.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is also not true.

[ QUOTE ]
I fully understand the benefit of pros in the lower limit games. It's for a lot of people exciting to play against players who you've seen on TV. In the high limit games it just doesn't work that way, and often enough the players playing these limits have already played against many pros anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you play in high stakes games, you have to play against other pros, especially on the internet. That's just the way it works. Frankly, you'd be surprised at how many of these "name" pros play in ring games. Many have steaming problems, some don't adjust as well to changing game conditions, and some actually play very well. Really, there's no difference between playing these guys and anyone else. I know, because I play these games.

As for people thinking that the money isn't significant, I just have to laugh. This is a plenty big game, and the money that one can win (or lose) in these games is HUGE. With the exception of Ivey, this limit is what most of these pros actually play in B&M games, if they play cash games at all. Put it another way: if you can make 1500 a day playing 1/2 online, and you play 300 days a year, you're looking at making almost a half-million a year. That's more than all but a few players make. Why do you think that the top players are doing it?

I realize that F.T. pays it's name players to play, but if they are losing in the games, then they will go broke. I don't see them making enough to recover anywhere near their losses. It's no different than "hosts" or props in games at B&M clubs.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Put it another way: if you can make 1500 a day playing 1/2 online, and you play 300 days a year, you're looking at making almost a half-million a year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please tell me how to make 1500 a day playing 1/2! I currently play as high as 2/4 and my winrate falls just a bit short of that. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-07-2005, 02:24 AM

ill be captain obvious

1/2 = 100/200
Old 04-07-2005, 02:46 AM

Quite frankly, I think some of these pros are what make the game worth playing. They play worse than the average internet player at those limits.

This is true on other sites as well. Someone wins a tournament and all of a sudden thinks he's capable of beating a game 5x the size he's used to.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think so.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was referring to WELL playing pros. There are enough pros on Full Tilt I'd love to play 100/200 and up with. But unfortunately, these pros only play the game very rarely. And when they do play, the game actually tends to fill up. So, I was not referring to them.

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:

This is also not true.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder where you base this on. I've played this game on FT since it started, so I think I can make a fair judgement whether the game dies or fills up. Also, if you where referring to the two pros I named as a benefit in your game, then I'm either very impressed with your game or you have to reconsider how you value your opponents.

[ QUOTE ]
When you play in high stakes games, you have to play against other pros, especially on the internet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know this. That's why I said "and often enough the players playing these limits have already played against many pros anyways." But the FT game is really not comparable to the average pokerstars 1/2 game. It can be a lot lot softer, especially when people are taking shots (which happens quite frequently).

[ QUOTE ]
Frankly, you'd be surprised at how many of these "name" pros play in ring games. Many have steaming problems, some don't adjust as well to changing game conditions, and some actually play very well. Really, there's no difference between playing these guys and anyone else. I know, because I play these games.

[/ QUOTE ]

As said, I have played against almost all the well known pros, and would gladly play against many of them. But to say you would like to play against Ivey or D'agostino (the two who are mainly playing the big games on FT) is just folly.