Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 09:15 AM

Default Straight Draw

Comments on all streets please.

7 Card Stud High ($3/$6), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $1 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.17 SB)

Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 7: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___completes

4th Street - (5.50 SB)

Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___calls

5th Street - (5.75 BB)

Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___folds

6th Street - (7.75 BB)

Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises

River - (11.75 BB)

Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___bets

Total pot: (13.75 BB)
Old 12-08-2005, 09:40 AM

Default Re: Straight Draw

I don’t really like the raise on 4th. The pot is small. He could be betting 7s or something and in that case isolating would be okay I guess, but I think you’re looking at a big buried pair quite often here.

6th should be a check, I think.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:01 AM

I fold 3rd with an eight and a queen dead despite the fast structure. Other than that, the hand sorta plays itself.

Jeff
Old 12-08-2005, 01:56 PM

Is raising on 4th street really that bad of a play? An argument could probably be made that he may be looking at a couple bricked 3-flushes, and that raising prevents these players from trying to backdoor their hands. It also increases his chances of winning with two pair or trips, and gains a free card on 5th street when Seat 8 makes the expected check.

Checking 6th seems like the best option. A bet is going to be made regardless of whether or not he checks or bets, but he at least he prevents the possibility of getting raised by checking.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:10 PM

Straight draws become useless when important cards are dead. Third is a clear fold to me with two critical cards out. Also, your high card of jack is lower than the high card on the board of a queen which gives less value to your hand. Always remember that stud is a game of live cards, especially with draws. The rest of the hand doesn't realy matter given this critical mistake on 3rd.

But how the hand played out, it looks like your 2 pair is lost.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:51 PM

Also, when one of the straight cards you need is your opponents door card, he might have a pair of that up card and thus you lose one more of your outs.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:26 PM

At 3rd, your read on whether you are facing possible slow played Qs or agressively bet 8s will help in determining the chances of making a str8 and also your position wrt overcards. This decision would be much easier if you were facing the BI only. Even under the right circumstances, calling the completion seems expensive.

I think 4th st raise is a little too aggressive. But it's good to do so once in a while. The straight is very live and Villains may have bricked. And then next big hand will be less readable.

I think 5th is fine.

I put on the brakes at 6th. At 4th, Seat 6 might have bricked on a 3-flush but decided to continue because of the very live spades.

I think river is fine.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:49 PM

Dammit… I totally missed the fact that there was a completion. Easy fold on 3rd.
Also, the raise on 4th is okay since the pot is bigger than I thought.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:54 PM

Your mistake as most mistakes begins on third street and compounds from there. You call a completed bet with j109 rainbow with two of your primary straight cards out (Q&8). you get lucky on fourth catch an 8 for the open ender. The raise isn't so bad there. You are then forced to bet fifth then call the raise on 6th to try to fill.

But you fail to fold the river. You are clearly beat with three pair. I am not happy catching a straight here at all. Third street was critical and it cost you.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don’t really like the raise on 4th. The pot is small. He could be betting 7s or something and in that case isolating would be okay I guess, but I think you’re looking at a big buried pair quite often here.

[/ QUOTE ]
As a rule, I give my opponents no credit before I give them credit. I was planning to raise fourth if I caught any card between an eight and a queen, because I thought any of those cards would put me in the lead.
[ QUOTE ]
6th should be a check, I think.

[/ QUOTE ]
You may be right about that.