Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 03:04 AM

Default 2 interesting hands where i mix it up...

No reads on the villians in either hand... Can't figure out the converter, so here it. (party 400 NL)

Hand 1: Villian has 287 and i cover

Preflop, i open UTG to $12 with QK, CO and BB call. Flop is AQ4r. BB checks, i bet 18, CO min-raises, BB folds, i make it 65, CO calls. Turn is blank and i shove...

Hand 2: UTG min raises, i smooth call, SB makes it 15, UTG makes it 60, we both call. Flop is 853, 2 hearts. UTG leads for 35, i make it 150. SB folds, UTG calls. Turn is an offsuit 4, UTG checks, and i shove. (i had both covered)

Thoughts on both hands?
Old 09-06-2005, 03:51 AM

Default Re: 2 interesting hands where i mix it up...

Hand 1, to be honest, I don't know how credible it is. So he minraises you on this rainbow flop then you slightly more than minraise him back... you're slowplaying, in some ugly non-poker sort of way, ok. Then the turn comes, a complete non-threatening blank, and all of a sudden you decide to shove?? well sure you want fold equity for the hand you have but since you were so content to milk him before why all of a sudden would you decide overbetting the pot is the best plan? seems like half pot or less would be consistent with how you've chosen the hand you're representing should be played... i guess i'd like to hear other opinions but i realllllly don't buy it (i assume you are representing QQQ)... if he has AK i don't think he's ditching it and even a weaker A like AJ i might have trouble.

hand 2 is very ballsy if you haven't yet looked at your cards.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:07 AM

PLAYING WITHOUT READS IS DUMB
Old 09-06-2005, 04:36 AM

hand 1: I hate it. You're out of position, he's mini raised you on flop, the calling card of the mediocre player with a monster looking to get frisky. An ace is out. He could have AK, AQ, 44...Maybe I'm missing something.

Hand 2: What are your cards?
Old 09-06-2005, 06:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
PLAYING WITHOUT READS IS DUMB

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-06-2005, 07:20 AM

When i say no reads, i mean i havent seen villians do anything worth noting, and i don't have enough hands logged with them to know how they play certain situations. This doesn't mean i can't apply hand ranges to them because i have no idea where they are.

Also, i forgot to mention in the QQ hand, we were 4 handed.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:43 AM

i dont like hand 1 without a read he can fold a decent ace...
hand 2 looks good
Old 09-06-2005, 10:16 AM

The play on hand 1 looks completely bizarre - I'd be calling w/ AT and up, as I can't see someone who's ahead not giving an inferior A or even dead-drawing hand to get pot-stuck.

Hand 2 is also questionable - is UTG really capable of three-betting with a hand that your QQ beats? Once he checks to you on the turn, don't you think he's coming with you all the way now that he's got $210 in the pot?
Old 09-06-2005, 12:48 PM

I really haven't got much out of posting these yet. I was hoping that for some more analysis of what you NL vets think about what hand range i represent and what range my opponents have in these situations. When i got min-raised in the KQ hand, it seemed like s decent ace was his most likely holding. By raising little enough to make it appear i was very strong, and leaving enough to make a pot sized shove on the turn, i think i make him fold a lot of hands that beat me yes?

As for the QQ hand, again, it's tricky. That's why i posted it. I've VASTLY underrepresented my hand, there is no way he can have me on TT or better. I don't know what his 3 betting standards are, but you guys dont think JJ gets 3 bet with that preflop action 4 handed? Hopefully i will get a little more insight into these issues.

Gabe
Old 09-06-2005, 01:00 PM

when you say you haven't gotten much out of these posts you mean to say you haven't gotten what you wanted to see. i addressed your questions and in my opinion the answer is no about the first hand, you won't fold too many winning hands, because your line is so inconsistent. if you are asking for an answer of yes it was a good and convincing line, sorry bud i can't help you out.