Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 04:52 PM

Default Strange hand I observed this weekend

I witnessed the following hand in a very soft 20/40 game at Commerce this weekend. Think about how each of the key participants played their hands -- what would you have done differently in their seats?

The key participants were:
Boyishly handsome guy (BHG): A young guy who works for a major Internet company. He's been very aggressive and has shown down several winners tonight.
Goofy Southerner (GS): A middle-aged guy who calls people "fella" and has been consuming several glasses of wine. He cold-calls too much and generally only raises with the nuts.
Random guy (RG): He's got a big stack in front of him, but he's spent a lot of time bonding with the big dinner next to him and hasn't played many hands lately.

BHG is in MP, with GS to his immediate left. RG is on the button.

Two limpers to BHG, who raises with AA. GS calls with KK, two more callers, RG limps on the button with 5d6d. Blinds and limpers all call(!).

Flop: 755 rainbow

Checked around to GS, who bets. All call (OK, maybe one early limper folded, but there were a lot of chips being splashed around here).

Turn: 2

Checked to GS, who bets again. One limper, the RG, and the blinds all call. BHG check-raises, GS 3-bets. RG calls, blinds fold, BHG calls.

River: 9

BHG checks, GS checks, RG bets, BHG calls, GS calls.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:03 PM

Default Re: Strange hand I observed this weekend

BHG played it too fancy and RG played it like absolute [censored] if GS is that aggressive.

Edit: I missed preflop. GS's preflop and turn plays don't match up, and he did a good job of colluding with RG.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:15 PM

Default Re: Strange hand I observed this weekend

As GS I 3-bet PF to isolate against a hand that is likely much worse than KK... if this hand gets to the flop 9-handed, when GS could have made everyone face 2-3 bets, I feel like GS has made a humongous mistake... the limpers probably go away when it gets raised and reraised behind them, and they have to call two cold.

This is usually a fantastic flop for both BHG and GS. As either of them, I'm taking every opportunity I have to bet this flop for value and to force out gutshots, BDFDs, and whatever else is out there. After a while I might give RG credit for a 5, but ... gotta get aggressive on that gorgeous flop, I think, in a big multiway pot with a big overpair.

Obviously this doesn't come up if it is 3-bet preflop though, which is why you absolutely have to 3-bet in GS's position.