Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2005, 06:57 PM

Default i love this hand (low content)

Villain has been playing like a maniac for the past hour (40/21/10), and although he was making money, there wasn't much strategy from him: raise raise raise and hope for the best hand. He showed down some good hands and some really awful hands. I was getting annoyed by how many river cards he caught to win hands, because a bit too much of my money was ending up in his stack. I made a comment about his river cards and I don't think he liked it. Then comes this hand.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls.

Flop: (9 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls.

River: (13.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 21.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 4c 4d (three of a kind, fours).
SB has Kc 3s (one pair, kings).
Outcome: Hero wins 21.50 BB. </font>

My favorite play from maniacs: the defiance raise. Oh yeah, you gonna raise me? Well I'll raise you! Take that!.

It seems once they're committed to raising, they can't stop themselves. I like that. I like that a lot.

And just a question about maniacs. Can they play this way consistently and actually make money in the long run? The 40/21/10 stats were observed over 94 hands, so they must be somewhat representative of his playing style. He showed winnings of 38 BB/100 in this session which is extremely unsustainable, not to mention way too small a sample size. I'm not sure what to think of that, if anything.

It seems to me that maniacs tend to vastly overplay marginal hands and either win small (by getting people to fold) or lose big (by showing down marginal hands). But the guy here made quite a bit of money. Is that a fluke?
Old 07-09-2005, 07:04 PM

Default Re: i love this hand (low content)

So much for MrWookie's post. It was a nice idea while it lasted.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:26 PM

Default Re: i love this hand (low content)

Sorry, I didn't see that post in time. You're right, this belongs in there.